New and a bit confused

Favvy93

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

I had blood tests 3 days ago as I had lost a lot of weight 12kg over the last 3 months and also very tired and thirsty.

I was called in for an urgent review with the practise nurse today as test found that my count was 11. I am told I am diabetic but the type is not clear. I will need further tests at hospital to determine this.

I was given a prescription for metformin despite no clear diagnosis as apparently my levels are very high. I asked questions about diet and alcohol consumption (attending a wedding this weekend). I was advised to come to this site for answers.

Has anyone else had this experience, I feel more confused now than when I went in for the appointment. I am not sure what I should be avoiding or how long I will wait for a correct diagnosis.

Reactions: Nayshiftin

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Metformin is the first-line drug for treating Type 2. That said, my BG was higher and I was put on Gliclazide initially, but last week the doctor put me on Metformin too. I am guessing that you are starting with one tablet with breakfast and will be increasing your dose over the next few weeks.

Metformin takes a while to work, but you should see effects soon if you have insulin resistance (Type 2). If you are Type 1 it may not have much effect in which case they will probably change your meds. There are separate blood tests that measure the amount of insulin your pancreas is producing and to detect an autoimmune response. Those will help them determine your type and, hence, treatment.

If you are not already doing so, try to get a glucose meter and test strips. Testing regularly can help you learn how your BG fluctuates in response to different foods and your meds.

I would hope your doctors are also planning to rule out other potential causes of your weight loss in the immediate future.

This weekend, I would suggest you lay off the drink. If you must, have a small amount of champers for the toasts. Also, lay off the dessert and try to limit your other carbohydrate intake (e.g. only eat a small amount of potato).
I hope this helps, it is a big learning curve initially but you will get there in the end.

Ellis

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are type 2 then I believe the best way to lower your BS is to drop the carbs (not just sugar). And test before and 2 hours after every meal to see how your body reacts to different foods.
Eating out is a little difficult when you can't choose the meals but focus on meat/poultry/fish/eggs/cheese with green veg or green salad. At home there are reasonable substitutes for most high carb foods, and loads of recipes if you search for keto/low carb.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest you don't start the metformin until after the wedding. Sometimes it can have a spectacular effect on the guts.

Favvy93

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Metformin is the first-line drug for treating Type 2. That said, my BG was higher and I was put on Gliclazide initially, but last week the doctor put me on Metformin too. I am guessing that you are starting with one tablet with breakfast and will be increasing your dose over the next few weeks.

Metformin takes a while to work, but you should see effects soon if you have insulin resistance (Type 2). If you are Type 1 it may not have much effect in which case they will probably change your meds. There are separate blood tests that measure the amount of insulin your pancreas is producing and to detect an autoimmune response. Those will help them determine your type and, hence, treatment.

If you are not already doing so, try to get a glucose meter and test strips. Testing regularly can help you learn how your BG fluctuates in response to different foods and your meds.

I would hope your doctors are also planning to rule out other potential causes of your weight loss in the immediate future.

This weekend, I would suggest you lay off the drink. If you must, have a small amount of champers for the toasts. Also, lay off the dessert and try to limit your other carbohydrate intake (e.g. only eat a small amount of potato).
I hope this helps, it is a big learning curve initially but you will get there in the end.

Ellis
Thank you, I have ordered some test strips. Hopefully I will be able to get a better understanding soon.

Reactions: valann

Favvy93

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are type 2 then I believe the best way to lower your BS is to drop the carbs (not just sugar). And test before and 2 hours after every meal to see how your body reacts to different foods.
Eating out is a little difficult when you can't choose the meals but focus on meat/poultry/fish/eggs/cheese with green veg or green salad. At home there are reasonable substitutes for most high carb foods, and loads of recipes if you search for keto/low carb.
Hello, thank you that's very helpful.

Onetworedblue

Hello,

I had blood tests 3 days ago as I had lost a lot of weight 12kg over the last 3 months and also very tired and thirsty.

I was called in for an urgent review with the practise nurse today as test found that my count was 11. I am told I am diabetic but the type is not clear. I will need further tests at hospital to determine this.

I was given a prescription for metformin despite no clear diagnosis as apparently my levels are very high. I asked questions about diet and alcohol consumption (attending a wedding this weekend). I was advised to come to this site for answers.

Has anyone else had this experience, I feel more confused now than when I went in for the appointment. I am not sure what I should be avoiding or how long I will wait for a correct diagnosis.
Hello,

I was diagnosed suddenly in spring last year after feeling unwell - an urgent review and metformin was my introduction too. I had various tests (foot, eye, etc.) and felt confused and overwhelmed. 15 months on - I have tolerated metformin well. I also (after reading advice on this forum and googling Sarah Hallberg/Jason Fung/Michael Moseley who explain the science well) I have:

Reduced carbs/sugar
Reduced highly processed foods
Reduced snacking between meals
Moved much more and regular walks
Lost some weight quickly (5%) by doing the above strictly for 12 weeks
Maintained the above gently

I haven’t banned anything (though I think carefully about high carb foods). My hba1c went from high back to non-diabetic range quickly (an achievement my GP practice nurse said was ‘unheard of’.). I knew it wasn’t unheard of as others on this forum have done it - I have since maintained it gently. I feel extremely lucky that a lot of small changes appear to work for me and I feel healthier than I have in years.

Obviously the meds will be different if you are diagnosed with a different type. I hope you can enjoy the wedding fully - I treat celebrations as an exception (my theory is that small adjustments to daily habits is much more impactful than trying to avoid the ‘wrong’ things at a on-off events).

Reactions: valann and filly