New and confused

Adz

After adding up my symptoms and not being able to get a Dr appointment until next week, I bought a meter and took my own tests.

Last night after work, the boss bought us some pizza for a job well done, when I got home and having drunk nothing but water I took a test and got a reading of 6,.0 which I understand is quite normal.
This morning after a 12 hour fast I took another reading and it was 6.2, which as I understand it puts me on the verge of a Prediabetes diagnosis, (all to be confirm when I finally can see my GP. Can't just go and sit in the GP's office and hope to be seen as I have to work and look after the kids etc so it'll have to wait until next weeks appointment).

Can anyone confirm or deny those numbers.

I obviously realise this is just a single test, uncontrolled and unscientific but its what I have at hand today.

Thank you

Adz

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A reading of six is not bad. A high reading would be over 8.5 two hours after eating.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
After adding up my symptoms and not being able to get a Dr appointment until next week, I bought a meter and took my own tests.

Last night after work, the boss bought us some pizza for a job well done, when I got home and having drunk nothing but water I took a test and got a reading of 6,.0 which I understand is quite normal.
This morning after a 12 hour fast I took another reading and it was 6.2, which as I understand it puts me on the verge of a Prediabetes diagnosis, (all to be confirm when I finally can see my GP. Can't just go and sit in the GP's office and hope to be seen as I have to work and look after the kids etc so it'll have to wait until next weeks appointment).

Can anyone confirm or deny those numbers.

I obviously realise this is just a single test, uncontrolled and unscientific but its what I have at hand today.

Thank you

Adz
They are good readings. If I had pizza I would be up in the 30s! But be careful, if you have any doubt CHECK IT OUT!! You may be in a honeymoon period before onset. I sincerely hope this is not so. But, remember we are here to support you. Good luck!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Adz, below 7.8 two hours after a meal is good.
Your reading of 6.2 after 12 hours fasting is a little on the high side. Ideally it should be between 4 - 5.9.*
But as you say one reading doesn't really indicate anything. It could be due to various factors including stress, tiredness, and infection. Many on here say their fbgs have been higher due to the hot weather.
Also meters aren't 100% accurate and can have up to .5 discrepancy either way.
You need to take more readings to get a general trend.
I wouldn't worry, but if you are make an appointment to see the GP to ask if you can have a full HbA1c test, though the doctor might think your readings don't justify the expense.

*Edit: But fbgs can also be higher because of the 'Dawn Phenomenon' where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood stream as you wake to give you an energy boost to get you going. Non-diabetics can get it too

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

As that was 2 hours after you ate, you may not have peaked. Pizzas are very difficult for diabetics because they tend to peak much later than 2 hours. However, I see nothing wrong with your numbers, and we are unable to diagnose you. Only your doctor can do that so you will have to be patient and wait for the correct diagnostic blood tests I'm afraid.