New and confused

wbdv

Hi there, I'm Paul, and I'm currently going through the process of investigating my ever fluctuating blood sugar (I'm not diabetic that I know of).

Initially I wasn't going to join, since I figured it would probably all work out and I'd just be wasting peoples time. That is until I got told by my GP to test my own blood sugar when I get bouts of weakness (feet dragging on the floor weakness), which I did. I took a reading yesterday however on the train home from work (five hours after any food) and got 10.2.

I have many queries but I'm not sure where the best place for them is... Besides the obvious, but I've already booked another appointment to see my doctor.

MaryJ

Hi Paul

You're right to wait on the GP appt but 10.2 is high after basically no food. However, there may be reasons eg dodgy reading.

If you are diagnosed with DB it's not the end of the world, even if you feel like it is at the time,

Let us know how you get on

mary x

wbdv

Hi Mary (and welcome Shaon!)

I'll try and fill in some of the gaps... Basically I get occasional bouts of weakness both physical and mental. I just go into a state where I'm spaced out and can't walk without dragging my feet along the floor, it's usually accompanied by a high (80bpm+) heart rate. Something sugary has usefully resolved this, which led me to think it was hypoglycaemia caused by either diet or something else. I also get the occasional bladder infection which I never used to get. The infections are more common in periods when I'm susceptible to these weak spells (I had one period about six months ago when I'd get weak every couple of days and eventually it subsided; however they're now becoming more common again).

I went to the doctor at the time and they sent me to the hospital for a fasting BG / cholesterol test (about 9AM without food for 12 hours). I was told at the time that my cholesterol was okay (I took this to mean that I could continue with the bacon for a few more years without shame) but that my blood glucose was high considering the fasting (6ish I think). I then had a glucose impairment test (lucozade plus two hours sitting in a waiting room) but they said that came back normal. After that the weak spells dissipated so I put it out of my mind.

When I got sent home from work a couple of weeks ago for being a bit out of it however I decided to go see the GP again. He gave me a BG test kit and told me to test it every time I felt weak before I had anything sugary to pick myself up. I did this although for nearly two weeks I only had very mild spells about two hours after eating and got entirely normal results of 5.1 / 5.2. Then a little while after that I had a more intense bout and got 8.7 (again about two hours after a bowl of bran flakes). Earlier this week however I had the 10.2 reading which was five hours after lunch. I tested again maybe 30 minutes (and a packet of crisps) later and got 6.9.

I'm not sure what it all means. I am pretty sure that feeling weak and eating sugar which seemingly fixes it is not a symptom of high blood sugar; but it seems like my BG is all over the place. I should also add that I've had pityriasis rosea for the last six months plus, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, the doctor didn't seem to think so.

I'm going to tell the doctor all of this obviously and hopefully he can help further. Right now I don't think diabetes is a diagnosis, perhaps pre-diabetes but the hypo symptoms don't say diabetic to me. If anyone can help or point me to more information on this kind of thing I'd be very grateful.

PSBuckshot

MaryJ said:
Hi Paul

You're right to wait on the GP appt but 10.2 is high after basically no food. However, there may be reasons eg dodgy reading.

If you are diagnosed with DB it's not the end of the world, even if you feel like it is at the time,

Let us know how you get on

mary x
I agree with you.

bmurray74

Now I'm even more scared. I've been on metformin for 3 weeks now and my bg is still hitting 19 on a daily basis, my BP is 150/104 and pulse is 95-110 resting. Iv also been testing my urine 2/3 times a day and it's consistently at the highest glucose reading. I'm going to the dr tomorrow so I hope she can tell me what type I am, I feel I'll all the time but I think it might be worry rather than symptoms.

Grazer

Hi WBDV. Can't make out what's going on there. You do need to see the doctor as planned, so good luck and let us know how it goes.

wbdv

Hi again. I've been to see the GP.He didn't think there was anything wrong and explained he only thought it could have been low blood sugar but the testing had ruled that out... He went on to say I should try a diet rich in complex carbohydrates along with plenty of exercise. I did ask about the 8.7 - 10.2 results up to five hours after food but he didn't think they were an issue.

What do I do at this point? I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this now.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear wbdv, If you are not a diabetic with those readings - then neither am I. I think you need a second opinion. All the best Rob

bmurray74

my HBA1c is down to 93. cholesterol is still 6.3. blood test in 2 weeks time and then another nurse appointment 2 weeks after that.
im now taking 2 metformin in the morning, this am at 6 i was 16.5 just before lunch it was 13, does anyone know if it should be coming down further than this after 2 metformin or is that normal.

Grazer

bmurray74 said:
my HBA1c is down to 93. cholesterol is still 6.3. blood test in 2 weeks time and then another nurse appointment 2 weeks after that.
im now taking 2 metformin in the morning, this am at 6 i was 16.5 just before lunch it was 13, does anyone know if it should be coming down further than this after 2 metformin or is that normal.

Metfromin will do a little to help the peaks, but not much. About 2mmols on maximum doseage is about what they reckon. You'll need to do the rest yourself with diet and exercise, or see the doc for different medication. Most of us try the diet and exercise route first.

bmurray74

im guessing an HBA1C of 91 is around the 12.5% mark but im not sure if im converting it properly. the nurse said i would be treated as type 2 for now but it was still too early to say, what worries me is that if it turns out i am type 1 will i be in danger while im only taking the tablets and watching my diet?

Fraddycat

Hi bmurray74, I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and followed the doc's advice to eat complex carbohydrates but my diabetes got progressively worse (I was not always very good at avoiding sugar either). But after my latest not very good HBA1C reading about 3/4 weeks ago I found this forum and followed people's advice to try Low Carb High Fat eating which has made an incredible different to my wellbeing, my blood sugar readings, and my weight. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf .

I have also just bought and read 'Diabetes, No Thanks' by Lars-Erik Litsfeldt which gives a facinating insight into why we are told to eat complex carbs when we are clearly healthier and need a lot less medication if we have less carbs.

It sounds like you have a testing machine, so keep measuring and keep a log of your readings! Try cutting down on your carbs - especially rice crispies for breakfast they are just empty food with no nutritional value AT ALL!

Good luck and keep researching!

bmurray74

Just got a call from the nurse, she is increasing my metformin to 4x a day and starting me on glicozide 2x a day and Ive to go back and see her in 3 months. she is still recommending eating plenty of starchy carbs but i will look into the low/no carb diet, correct me if im wrong but is this method not just the atkins diet?

Grazer

bmurray74 said:
Just got a call from the nurse, she is increasing my metformin to 4x a day and starting me on glicozide 2x a day and Ive to go back and see her in 3 months. she is still recommending eating plenty of starchy carbs but i will look into the low/no carb diet, correct me if im wrong but is this method not just the atkins diet?

I'm not an expert on Atkins, but many on here eat the same level of carbs as with Atkins, except they replace the carbs with more dairy (fat) than protein. It doesn't have to be loads of carbs or Atkins level though, there are a host of levels in between. The point is to eat the level of carbs you can handle according to what your meter says -you you MUST test to find out what that level is. Here is what I did:-
In general terms you will need to reduce the total number of carbohydrates you eat per day. All carbohydrates turn to sugar when we eat them, and no type 2 diabetic on diet only, or on diet and metformin only, can control their blood sugars (BGs) without controlling their carb intake. Even those on strong medication normally choose to control their carb intake to keep the level of medication they take down. The total number of carbs per day you can eat depends on how advanced your diabetes is. It’s perhaps worth starting at about 50% of normal levels for a non-diabetic then adjusting up or down according to how you get on. So that means eating 150 grams of carbs per day for a man, 125 for a woman. You can read the total carb content of food under “nutritional info” on the packet or wrapping, or look it up on the internet for loose food. Just google “carb content..”
You also need to stop or reduce the bad carbs; that is the starchy ones that make your BG go up quickly.
So obviously no sugar or glucose! But also no white bread, white rice, pasta, flour products like pastry, cake and batter. You can eat a little basmati rice, wholewheat pasta or the tri-color pasta fusilli ones in small quantities. Boiled new potatos (again not too many) are OK but not old pots mashed, boiled or in their jackets. (Roast is not so bad, the fat slows their absorption and conversion to glucose in the blood) Amongst other veg, parsnips are about the worst for BG, and carrots not great but ok in smaller amounts.
Multi grain bread (not wholemeal) is not SO bad, but lots of us eat Burgen soya and linseed bread from tescos and sainsburys, although all bread should be in limited amounts.
All fruit has carbohydrates, and needs to be included in the amounts of carbs you eat in a day. For most people, bananas are about the worst for pushing our BG up and berries (like strawberries, raspberries etc) are the least bad.
No sweeties!
Exercise is important. I tend to exercise about an hour after eating when I know my BG will be peaking. This helps to bring it down quicker and further. I do ten minutes hard work on an exercise machine, but you could run up and down stairs for ten minutes or go for a brisk walk.
Returning to types of food and quantities of carbs - you can only find out how many you can eat by testing. Most type 2’s are not given access to testing equipment, so you should get your own – although try arguing with your Doc that you want to manage to NICE guideline blood sugar levels, and can’t do that without testing! If you have to buy a meter, they are cheap and most manufacturers will give them away for free. They make their money on the strips you have to use! So go for the meter with the cheapest testing strips. The SD Codefree available on the internet is about the cheapest at the moment. Some people test before and after eating, on waking (fasting test) and before bed. But if you have limited strips because of cost, the key to me is testing 2 hours after eating. If your BG is above, say, 7.8 at that stage, you need to cut down on the carb content the next time you have that meal. Test after various different meals and you soon get to see a pattern of what you can and can’t eat, and in what quantities. Keep careful records of what you ate and when, together with the result, so you can refer back at a later date. You can then reduce your testing. I said “below, say, 7.8” because NICE guidelines are below 8.5 but most of us think that’s a little high. 7.8 is the max. level at 2 hours after eating that a non-diabetic normally gets to so is perhaps a better target. Some then set progressively lower targets.
Do ask lots of questions; there is normally an answer on here. The more you get to learn about your diabetes, the better it will be.
Good luck!

bmurray74

Thanks, it all seems to be unravelling into a larger mystery than i had hoped for, the nurse told me to only test my bg once or twice a week, shes not giving me a machine but says if i get one she will prescribe the strips. i have been testing regularly and on average im 13 when i wake up, 16 2 hours after breakfast and 18 2 hrs after dinner.

Grazer

bmurray74 said:
i have been testing regularly and on average im 13 when i wake up, 16 2 hours after breakfast and 18 2 hrs after dinner.

Those levels are much too high. If dieting as described doesn't bring it down soon, certainly out of double figures, then you need to go back to the doctor as you might need different medication