new and confused

squirrel50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi im new here went to a pre op assesment as im having my hip relaced i had the other one done 7 months ago and my blood glucose was 7.5 so went again for fasting blood 2 days later and it was 7 then dos and shes put me straight on tablet...have to go to a clinic in a weeks time..i have been given no advice at all..so i cut out sugar from tea and coffee and just watched what i eat but feel shaky and so hungry all the time even after just eating is this normal

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
you are obviously still at the shock stage of diagnosis. Cutting sugar from tea and coffee is good. You don't need sugar, It's just empty calories( even if it tastes nice) If you are genuinely hungry, try some protein. Protein will keep you going far longer than carbs. Have a boiled egg for breakfast
What tablets havethey given you? If it's gliclazide, it might be responsible for the shaky feelings

squirrel50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yes thats what im on glcazide..went to work today had porridge then mid morning a banana wholemeal chicken sandwich for lunch and lots of water..im also on ramipril for blood pressure which ive been on for two years no problems with that its always ok..any way went to see my sister at three o clock and started sweating ringing in my ears and shaking ,,it really scared me i felt so weak and sort of drunk..like vague ,,she gave me a cheese sandwich and after half an hour i felt normal enough to drive home..i hope this gets better its making me feel seriously depressd.my consultants seceratary sent me letter today to say op has been cancelled untill my levels are acceptable ..hope thats not going to take to long as i am desperate to get op done my other hip is so good since its been done..i feel miserable dont know why i feel like this im ususally so happy..this has hit me like a brick,,sorry to go on

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The gliclazide dose might be too high for you and causing a hypo. go see your doctor or DSN about it. Don't gt into the habit of feeding the gliclazide. It makes you gain weight. While talking to the doctor, you might ask why Gliclazide wwas chosen as the first medication( I suspect it's because you are about to undergo surgery) ask if you may try to control the condition by diet alone for the meantime. then try a reduced carb diet.

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
The gliclazide dose might be too high for you and causing a hypo. go see your doctor or DSN about it. Don't gt into the habit of feeding the gliclazide. It makes you gain weight. While talking to the doctor, you might ask why Gliclazide wwas chosen as the first medication( I suspect it's because you are about to undergo surgery) ask if you may try to control the condition by diet alone for the meantime. then try a reduced carb diet.

Agree, it sounds like you've gone from one extreme to the other

This is a tried and tested method for gaining the information you need to control your BG

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm