New BG testing machine - different results

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all,

I used to use an AccuCheck Compact to test my blood sugar.

I've recently been given a True You mini which I started using.

I decided to use both machines at the same time just to see if the results would be the same but they have been varied quite differently and I just wanted some advice to what other people would do??

Some examples of the varying results are below:

Old machine BG 4.7, new machine 5.1 so a difference between both machines of 0.4
Old machine BG 4.9 new machine 5.7 so a difference between both machines of 0.8
Old machine BG 16.9, new machine 18.6 so a difference between both machines of 1.7
Old machine BG 9.0, new machine 7.9 so a difference between both machines of 1.1
Old machine BG 16, new machine 17.9 so a difference between both machines of 1.9

If the results were all just 0.something then I don't think I'd be so worried but as two have been over 1 in difference I don't know what to do. I don't know if my new meter is the one with the problem or if my old meter has been slowly giving out wrong results?

Any advice would be appreciated?!
Thanks
Alison

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
most meters can read 10% +/- so say you were at 6 in reality your machine could read 5.4-6.6. the two machines could be at either end of that scale.
lets look at your 16.9 /18.6 reading as you say its 1.7 different. if it was 17 in reality it could be shown between 18.7 and 15.3. if 16 it could read 17.6- 15.4. so at a guess your bloods were in the 17 range. i would suggest the double testing is pointless. i would be more bothered by your rather wide range bg readings. i know itsa stupid question did you wash your hands. i forgot just once and it read 11. i paniced a little as it was a fasting test as i sucked the blood off my finger (yes i know yuck) it tasted sweet. i had not touched anything with glucose in it washed the hands and retested and it was in the 5s. if odd figures always double check.

Alison204

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your comments. I think I might just stick with my Accucheck compact BG meter. Although it's much bigger I don't have to touch any of the test strips, I just click one buttton and it automatically pops out a strip for me to use so there's no mess. it's much more convenient even though it is quite huge in comparrison!! I'll keep the little one as a back up I think. Thanks for taking the time to help me xx

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Thanks for your comments. I think I might just stick with my Accucheck compact BG meter. Although it's much bigger I don't have to touch any of the test strips, I just click one buttton and it automatically pops out a strip for me to use so there's no mess. it's much more convenient even though it is quite huge in comparrison!! I'll keep the little one as a back up I think. Thanks for taking the time to help me xx
Alison - thank you for saying that you will stick with your Accucheck Compact - it was the only constructive remark in the whole thread - I did not receive ONE reply to asking for opinions about Accucheck and another
machine (My One Touch Ultra dying and no service in S/E Asia since J & J sold it off) and my Bali Pharmacy only supplies a choice from two - thanks again