New confused diabetic

Pinkdiabetic

I’m newly a diagnosed type 1 and still getting used to the carrying everything about, so today when I went out for dinner and got out my bag checked my bloods and opened my insulin pen to realize I had no needles to inject the insulin with I started to get panicky. I was a bit away from home and unable to get them so I ate and gave insulin immediately after so I had a couple of questions
Should I have used my bm from before or after dinner?
Will leaving insulin until after harm me ?not that I’m going to do it again

And also if I randomly wanted food that I haven’t had insulin for would it be ok to object insulin for that whatever time it is?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’m newly a diagnosed type 1 and still getting used to the carrying everything about, so today when I went out for dinner and got out my bag checked my bloods and opened my insulin pen to realize I had no needles to inject the insulin with I started to get panicky. I was a bit away from home and unable to get them so I ate and gave insulin immediately after so I had a couple of questions
Should I have used my bm from before or after dinner?
Will leaving insulin until after harm me ?not that I’m going to do it again

And also if I randomly wanted food that I haven’t had insulin for would it be ok to object insulin for that whatever time it is?

Welcome to the forums.

I assume from your text that your insulin regime is basal/bolus and that you inject for every meal. The delay in injecting may cause you to get high blood glucose levels but this is also dependent on activity levels, food choices (and for some of us a 101 other things)!

The general rule is to inject before eating and if you can't, then as soon as you can after eating. A single incident is unlikely to do you any long term harm.

Reactions: SimonCrox
K

Knikki

Hello @Pinkdiabetic Welcome to the forum :)

Your not the only one to forget something that we need and usually at the most in opportune moments.

If it was me when I got home I would take a bm reading and then add insulin accordingly.

No leaving insulin until after will not harm you, the only thing it might do is make your blood sugars higher than you expect.

Many of us will 'bolus' for things that we decide to snack on like cake for example, do something might be x carb value and inject y insulin.

It's all a bit of an experiment but any questions feel free to ask there is usually someone around to help :)

D

Deleted Account

Firstly, you are not the first person to have done this and you will not be the last.
And it sounds as if you handled the situation well.

Regarding what BG reading to use with your insulin dose calculation, I would use my pre-meal value. However, I would test a little more often.

Leaving insulin until after eating has some advantages - you know exactly how much you ate. But you are likely to experience a BG spike without the insulin on board to bring it down. This single spike is unlikely to cause problems but reapedly doing this will.
I think of it like cleaning my teeth. They are likely to fall out if I forget to clean them once but if I keep forgetting, I will have problems.

And your last question - if you count your carbs, you can eat and inject as many times as you want at whatever time of the day. If you do so less than 4 hours after your last insulin dose, you may find any calculations based on your current BG (corrective dose) maybe dodgy due to fast acting insulin on board. For this reason, when I eat/inject multiple times over a short time (typically, when I eat more than I intended) I only use the carb content in my dose calculation.

Pinkdiabetic

Welcome to the forums.

I assume from your text that your insulin regime is basal/bolus and that you inject for every meal. The delay in injecting may cause you to get high blood glucose levels but this is also dependent on activity levels, food choices (and for some of us a 101 other things)!

The general rule is to inject before eating and if you can't, then as soon as you can after eating. A single incident is unlikely to do you any long term harm.

Thanks a lot I’ve had a million and one questions and I’ve only been diabetic for 2 weeks haha

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Pinkdiabetic, welcome to the society ;-) I keep a couple of "emergency" needles in my blood testing kit since I last forgot to re-stock x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks a lot I’ve had a million and one questions and I’ve only been diabetic for 2 weeks haha
I'm 18 months into diagnosis and the questions don't go away!!

I got caught out recently with an empty cartridge. Completely my own fault because I meant to change it that morning. I chose lower carb food to try and manage the BG rise because mine can be pretty steep.

Reactions: porl69