New diagnosis and an eyesight question

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 just over a week ago. I'm on a basal-bolus regime.

Prior to diagnosis I wore contacts and glasses for short sightedness.My last eye test was Jan 2017, no problems on the retinal photo and my prescription was the same as it was 2 years ago. I bought new glasses as my old ones were 8 years old and the wrong prescription.

Then I got diabetes. I found that for 5 days after discharge my eyesight was so good I didnt/couldn't wear any glasses or contacts. I mean it's not been this good since I was 11. I'm now 30. Then it's started to be more fuzzy but not to the point I can wear my glasses at all.

I wonder, is this normal? And when should I contact my optician? Now (esp as I just have bought new glasses) or later? If my prescription is continually changing I won't be able to drive as I'll not manage to keep up with the changes. Am I looking at needing new glasses/lenses every week/month or do I just have to wait until it settles?

Obviously this will impact on work. I drive 120 miles/day sometimes. And I rely on my vision at work (I'm a dentist).

Any help or advice appreciated. Thank you!
Kat x

M

ME_Valentijn

Am I looking at needing new glasses/lenses every week/month or do I just have to wait until it settles?
My fiance had the same problem at onset, and ended up buying a couple cheap & flimsy temporary pairs from a discount store. An old pair of glasses ended up working for him after things settled down, and he just bought some nice new ones recently, after 4 years, when the old ones and flimsy ones broke :p

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a normal phenomenon wait some month till you have learned to level your blood glucose

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hello katmcd now you've been diagnosed with diabetes you should be requested to attend an eye screening appointment where they have a good look at the back of your eyes this is where diabetes eye problems can occur I can't quite remember who gives you the results but im sure if you have this done they will advice you on types of glasses which you may need if you ask you doctor/dsn I'm sure they will explain more as I don't attend eye screening anymore I'm sure a forum member will know more on this subject hope this may have helped a little good luck keep watching the forum.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fluid in your eyes will be high or low sugar depending on what your blood sugar levels are doing. Prior to diagnosis your blood sugar levels will have been high for a few weeks or months. Your eyes will have got used to being high. As you bring your levels down to normal that will have an impact on your vision. Your eyes will adjust as your sugars settle down. I saw my optician quite soon after diagnosis because I was struggling to focus and having migraines - he was very good with a reassuring explaination about the eyes having to adjust to the change in blood sugar levels. But he did say there's no point having an eye test until sugars have settled post diagnosis.

The vision issues should be a pretty transient issue. Although you might want to check the Jan prescription remains correct once your blood sugar is a bit more under control as I imagine that was done when you were undiagnosed and hyperglycaemic which could have skewed the test a bit.

M

mist

This is interesting. I'm blind in one eye, do you think my sight will come back now I have diabetes? :D

I've never heard of this happening, I know after the retinal screening I can't see for sh#t and everything is super bright. I had a regular eyetest a few months ago and he said I have "pressure" behind my eye, now I'm worried my one good eye is going to pop out or something..:wideyed:

I do find that on some days my vision is better than on other days, who knew blood sugars have such weird effects on our bodies.

Reactions: Freema

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@katmcd . Has already mentioned good and even BS levels will result in optimum eyesight. You may still need glasses once your sugars settle down but for time being it's a case of getting your sugar levels stable. That in itself may not be easy and may take time.
I have 2 eye tests annually. 1st I have diabetic retinopathy screening. This involves a simple which line can you read on the chart test followed by photographs of the inside/ back of eye. This shows any damage to blood vessels that supply the eye ball.
2nd I visit the optician, this is a totally different examination and is what you are probably familiar with.
It's important that you have both tests as they both give separate information regarding the condition of your eyes.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 you are entitled to a free sheerest every year I believe. Do you have an optician you trust or can you find one through recommendations? It's possible to get new lenses fitted to old frames and simple lenses are relatively cheap. An eye test looks at different things to a retinal scan so worth doing. I've learned this stuff the hard way. Good luck with it

Reactions: Freema