New diet help

Jonlennon

Hi guys I'm type 1, I seem to be eating a lot more throughout the day, just wondered if there was a way for me to trim up but maintain my sugar levels in range.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You've only been diagnosed for a couple of months, right? What insulin regime are you on? It would help if you mentioned that under 'information' on your profile page. Are you comfortable carb counting and adjusting insulin? Are your insulin needs relatively stable at the moment?

Reactions: Jonlennon

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys I'm type 1, I seem to be eating a lot more throughout the day, just wondered if there was a way for me to trim up but maintain my sugar levels in range.
Hi there - more questions than answers I'm afraid but here goes!
Insulin makes you hungry and enables you to store fat. Can still remember being really hungry when I was first diagnosed. If your increased appetite is due to having previously lost weight then it is natural for your body to want to lay down some extra fat.
Or if you are going low ish a lot this might be driving up your appetite as you will most likely crave the sweet stuff...
Or if you are eating a bit more fat and protein because you are counting carbs more carefully in order to calculate the right bolus dose then perhaps it is natural to want more of the other stuff and that's fine.
'Trimming up' will involve eating lots of good quality foods to fill you up at the expense of low quality carbs (sweets, chocolates, white bread, pasta and rice) but you will need to adjust the bolus dosing. I wouldn't attempt it if I wasn't confident with dose adjustment! Perhaps you need a little more time to get used to that side of things but we are here if you need more tips.