New Forum Member

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just a quick note to say hello to everyone.

I was 50 when I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 2.5 years ago following a check up with a cardiologist for Atrial Fibrillation I was also diagnosed with severe hypertension at the same time.

Currently taking 1000g of slow release Metformin (varying from 1000 to 2000 per day depending how much I could tolerate)
1000mg Pioglitazone
80mg Gliclazide

Also on 3 tablets for Hypertension and Allipurinol for Gout (yep, I rattle when I walk)

I felt awful about a year ago where and found out that control was all of a sudden poor (no idea why, though maybe stress palys a part?) and I was treated for depression (I still am). Despite changes in medication, control is still poor last HB was 8.3 although daily readings indicate levels higher than this, also the morning levels are around the 8-11 range which I've always felt is odd.

I Ignored the dieticians advice re carbs as I put on on weight (I have a BMI of 30) and have tried many things to reduce my weight, but with no real major success. Although I try to limit carbs travelling during the day makes this difficult. Work is being helpful in that I can work from home which will help to control my diet (I have recently seen an occupational health doctor), but I do feel guilty about the time off work I've had in the last year and still basically feel "off colour" and in particular, I suffer from bouts of extreme tiredness which seems to hit me at anytime during the day.

Anyway, good luck to all.

PS sorry about the nickname but I've just been listening to some early Bowie.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and if you have any questions just ask. There is always someone with an answer.

Poor control is usually down to diet more than medication. Perahps you could give us some idea as to a typical days food intake, we may be able to make suggestions to help you.

We also advocate testing more frequently, such as before meals and 2 hrs after meals. In that way you can see what effect certain foods have on your Bg levels.

Have you seen your GP about the tiredness ? Sometimes it is not all Diabetes related. Anti-depressants in particular can make you feel tired all the time.

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for your reply Cugila,

Yes I've ben seeing the GP about tiredness onset, and have been advised not drive long distances, for the time being as I may need investigations for a Sleep disorder.

A problem for me is that a day's food intake varies due to work and travelling.

Yesterday I had a small bowel of porridge, 2 x Wholemeal cheese an onion sandwich, a packet of crisps, and for tea sausages, spinach and Heinz baked beans. And instant coffee no sugar during the day

Today I was travelling on the train and had:
1 small bowl of porridge, I regiular Latte, 1 Blueberry muffin, 1 apple, 1 large egg and salad Baguette, 1 can of Stella, and some toast and Pate when I got home. I Was up at 05:15 and returned home at 20:15.

Regards

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Jung the foreman said:
Thanks for your reply Cugila,

Yes I've ben seeing the GP about tiredness onset, and have been advised not drive long distances, for the time being as I may need investigations for a Sleep disorder.

A problem for me is that a day's food intake varies due to work and travelling.

Yesterday I had a small bowel of porridge, 2 x Wholemeal cheese an onion sandwich, a packet of crisps, and for tea sausages, spinach and Heinz baked beans. And instant coffee no sugar during the day

Today I was travelling on the train and had:
1 small bowl of porridge, I regiular Latte, 1 Blueberry muffin, 1 apple, 1 large egg and salad Baguette, 1 can of Stella, and some toast and Pate when I got home. I Was up at 05:15 and returned home at 20:15.

Regards

Hi jung.

I have highlighted the foods in red which you really need to cut out or at least cut down on. They are high in carbs, and as stated before carbs convert to glucose, which will elevate your Bg levels.

I know you are working long hours and your job is no doubt stressful, however if you have poor health then the job may not be there in future ?? You really need to concentrate on a more healthy diet in the first place. Prepare a lunchbox the night before, always go for the healthy options providing they are not full of carbs. I am sure you will get more advice from others about what constitutes a healthy diet, be it low carb, low GI/GL. I have just given you some food for thought.....so to speak. :wink:

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks Cugila, I get your point, seems bread is propbably my problem, but when you are out and about a sandwhich is very convenient. The Porridge thing has only started recently as my wife started making some for my Daughter.

When I was based in London a few years ago I was having a fry up twice a day, but no bread or chips and I lost haflfa stone it two weeks (even tho I felt hungry all the time)

Regards

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Yes, I do know what it is like travelling up and down the Motorways, working long hours with infrequent or no meal breaks. That was me for many years. Relying on services foods which are a minefield for a Diabetic, however it is not impossible just needs a lot more care. Portion sizes at these places are usually enourmous too.

So, get that lunchbox filled with the right goodies and be more selective, then you will probably get back to the weight loss and much better Bg levels. :D

Let us know how you get on.

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Just an update

I've been off bread for nearly a week now and levels have come down which is great, but since last Thursday I have been constantly urinating which is driving me mad. Yesterday I went 13 times in 12 hours, and have been 3 times overnight.

Would this be related to feeling hungry all the time since I reduced my carbs? any other thoughts?

My next review with GP is 5th Jan

Many thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jung,
well done,
as for peeing im the same, i think its the cold weather in my case :D

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Re: New Forum Member (just started insulin)

Hi all, an update:

Recent HB was 8.2 so after discussion with my clinic, I have been started on 8 units once a day of slow release insulin.

Intial results after 5 days show a very encouraging drop in BG, before breakfast test has averaged 7.3 which is down from 9 and avearaging 8 at other test times with the lowest being 5.7 and the highest being 10.3 so overall the readings are lower, which makes me happy :D

I'm still off the bread but still on the metformin etc

Side effects are nausea and stomach upset, is this common?

keytones

hi everyone im new to this so bear with me.i have a friend with diabetes and i just took his blood sugar and it did not reg. all it said was high keytones. can anyone give him advice. thanks back later

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi ,
if your friend is that high he needs to seek medical help urgently, he should have been taught what to do in this situation :)

yvon

Hello,

my name is Yvon, I am from Slovenia. I have a diabetes type 1 almoust 20 years. I have a pump.
Sorry if my English is bad. I am so glad to see all the diabetic people here on this forum. I have a 4 old son. I am 35 years old. My HbAc1 level is 6,2 that is ok.

that all

regards,
Yvon

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Yvon and welcome to the forum. :D

Your English is 100% better than my Slovenian! :lol: