1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New friend said I was always playing the Victim!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Geri, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Debloubed

Debloubed Type 1 · Well-Known Member

it's a tricky business with friends and family! Usually, with family you can educate them and as they tend to be closest to you they have seen the highs and the lows and that helps them understand. My step-son is at medical school training to be a Doctor and we had 'words' recently because he was insistent that a low blood sugar 'feeling' and a hunger 'feeling' were not the same because of some medical reaction/reason that is produced by the body in terms of hunger. I tried (calmly) to explain that when your blood sugar is low, you can feel ravenous and it's hard to not inhale all food wihin arms reach and he said that was impossible as it my body wouldn't produce the same reactions for low blood sugar as it would for hunger. Well, as you can imagine, I was not best pleased with him! I tried explaining that my hunger feels very real when I am low but he is very clinical and text book oriented (I'm sure he will make a great Doctor one day!) but he couldn't grasp the concept. I suggested he didn't speciliase in anything to do with Diabetes until he could step outside his medical books and understand :wink: My daughter however, who has had to call an ambulance in the past when I was unconscious from a low just started banging her head against the table when her step-brother failed to understand! lol

2. Jennifer78

Jennifer78 · Newbie

My friends are, for the most part, understanding but i've talked to them about my diabetes and what they can do to help if I go low and how I might look/react. Some people are very ignorant but that's often due to lack of education about something. I think they don't understand how tired diabetes can make a person. I suffer from other auto immune deficiencies so can often feel horrid if something isn't going right or I have been particularly busy. It's important to surround yourself with good people. Glad you sorted things out. :)

3. Marfmama

Marfmama · Well-Known Member

I have had the reaction "do you have the good kind or the bad kind?" A lot?!! There seems to be this misunderstanding that one type you have to eat sugar and the other type you can't? I went to stay with my friend and she had bought loads of lucozade and kept offering it to me - she thought I needed to drink it regularly! I also had a friend who kept saying she would hit me up with some insulin if I had a bad hypo on holiday with her, despite me sayin repeatedly that this was the worst thing she could do! Funny :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook