New here, read some of the posts on different discussions...

Kimble73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am Type 2 for 4 years now, and I have depression with my diabetes and I am starting to find out why, because there are sooooo many different suggestions on how to control sugars it makes your head spin. I am controlling mine by diet and excersise. No medications, but I tell ya it is very challenging and can be very stressful, but so can be on medications to control sugars, there's so many ones I've read so much on type 2 diabetes and it is a very complex disease, and now I know why. What can happen if you don't control it, and how to control it, managing stress which I am constantly under and most of it is out of my control but is effecting me anyways emotional and physically. You see my mom passed away a year ago quite suddenly, a close family member has a drug addiction and so on, I worry about him constantly, it's quite a burden. My mom was my support and I miss her sooooo much. No one in my family understands what it's like to be a diabetic and how stress can effect it. They don't seem to really try to be more supportive, I am right now going through pain in my ribs on left side which I have had for a few years and hurts more now, not really sure what it's from but I have been very tense lately, and very down, I'm on an antidepressant since diagnosis of diabetes but since mom passed it doesn't seem to work as good. I have been going to grieving counselling but when I come home I feel down cause I don't have the same support, my husband I guess thinks I should be fine now, since I don't cry as much but **** it still hurts, and I worry about my sugars they have changed a bit but still in good range, it causes me anxiety when I'm home alone, which I have with the depression. It's been a long 4 years of ups and downs. Some days I'm so tired I can't think at all. I don't sleep very good. In the very beginning when I was diagnosed my husband and family were very supportive now not so much. I was diagnosed in 2012 and I think we as diabetics need support for the rest of our lives, it's such a lonely disease I only know two ppl with it and they seem fine with it. I cried and cried when I was told I have it after finding out what it can do to you and how a person has to live. I lost over 40 pounds and ate good then after reality set in that I had this the depression set in. I was admitted to hospital I was so depressed, I was in hospital a few times cause I couldn't cope with it, has anyone experienced this? I still have the depression and seems on some days it's worse since mom passed. Yes I went through the denial stage too, I went to other ppl to see if I had it. I was very scared. I still get anxious especially when I am home by myself, scared if my sugars went low and nobody here. Shortly after I was diagnosed I had my gallbladder out to well I thought what next, and husband was stressed and not very available for me, I was a mess, but that is behind me but wished I had more ppl on my side and there for me instead I get your sugars are good what are you worried about. It's not like you have the flu and it goes away you have diabetes for the rest of your life and all the other **** that goes with it, timing out your meals, can't have this can't have that and everyone around you can eat whatever tthey want and so on. I feel ppl just don't get it. Have any of you experienced how others treat you about your diabetes and how do you deal with it and where do you get the support where your not judged or the stupid things people say.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Life is tough, it's tough for everyone and no one gets a free pass. I've lived with cystic fibrosis all my life, had a double lung transplant. Diagnosed with T2 about 10 yrs ago, had my gall bladder out due to and endless stream of stones that kept blocking the bile duct, causing inflammation of the liver. I have some mild liver fibrosis and minor cirrhosis, but nothing serious. I don't really worry about it much at all... it's certainly not on my mind. I've been through patches of depression at various stages in life and how that is managed depends on the person and what they need.

Sounds like you need more support. Everyone deals with loss differently. Everyone's emotional and general support requirements are different. It seems your problems are inflamed by personal loss of recent. You probably came to the right place, you will find support here. Maybe someone who had or is going through a similar experience to yours will have a good idea of how to get others around you in your life to be more supportive. And how to deal with it better.

It is tough work managing T2 with diet and exercise. Routine and consistency seem to work well for me. Interestingly enough, T2 has resulted in eating healthier and getting some regular proper exercise. It's a total change in life style. You find yourself living completely differently to your friends and family. They may be eating whatever they want, but at some point, some of those very people are going to be joining the club no one wants to be a member of. So, if you can manage it well with just diet and exercise, then give yourself a big pat on the back!

I'm sure other people here will be more helpful then me.

Reactions: Energize and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am Type 2 for 4 years now, and I have depression with my diabetes and I am starting to find out why, because there are sooooo many different suggestions on how to control sugars it makes your head spin. I am controlling mine by diet and excersise. No medications, but I tell ya it is very challenging and can be very stressful, but so can be on medications to control sugars, there's so many ones I've read so much on type 2 diabetes and it is a very complex disease, and now I know why. What can happen if you don't control it, and how to control it, managing stress which I am constantly under and most of it is out of my control but is effecting me anyways emotional and physically. You see my mom passed away a year ago quite suddenly, a close family member has a drug addiction and so on, I worry about him constantly, it's quite a burden. My mom was my support and I miss her sooooo much. No one in my family understands what it's like to be a diabetic and how stress can effect it. They don't seem to really try to be more supportive, I am right now going through pain in my ribs on left side which I have had for a few years and hurts more now, not really sure what it's from but I have been very tense lately, and very down, I'm on an antidepressant since diagnosis of diabetes but since mom passed it doesn't seem to work as good. I have been going to grieving counselling but when I come home I feel down cause I don't have the same support, my husband I guess thinks I should be fine now, since I don't cry as much but **** it still hurts, and I worry about my sugars they have changed a bit but still in good range, it causes me anxiety when I'm home alone, which I have with the depression. It's been a long 4 years of ups and downs. Some days I'm so tired I can't think at all. I don't sleep very good. In the very beginning when I was diagnosed my husband and family were very supportive now not so much. I was diagnosed in 2012 and I think we as diabetics need support for the rest of our lives, it's such a lonely disease I only know two ppl with it and they seem fine with it. I cried and cried when I was told I have it after finding out what it can do to you and how a person has to live. I lost over 40 pounds and ate good then after reality set in that I had this the depression set in. I was admitted to hospital I was so depressed, I was in hospital a few times cause I couldn't cope with it, has anyone experienced this? I still have the depression and seems on some days it's worse since mom passed. Yes I went through the denial stage too, I went to other ppl to see if I had it. I was very scared. I still get anxious especially when I am home by myself, scared if my sugars went low and nobody here. Shortly after I was diagnosed I had my gallbladder out to well I thought what next, and husband was stressed and not very available for me, I was a mess, but that is behind me but wished I had more ppl on my side and there for me instead I get your sugars are good what are you worried about. It's not like you have the flu and it goes away you have diabetes for the rest of your life and all the other **** that goes with it, timing out your meals, can't have this can't have that and everyone around you can eat whatever tthey want and so on. I feel ppl just don't get it. Have any of you experienced how others treat you about your diabetes and how do you deal with it and where do you get the support where your not judged or the stupid things people say.
@Kimble73 you could be describing how I feel too. Although I am seeing someone via diabetes unit for talking therapy. Partner gets irritated if I'm on this website too much but that because he is a talker. (Chatterbox)with problems of his own.
You have found the right support here thou.
You are definitely not alone now.
I post even through the night on occasion. Poor sleep patterns. (Due to underactive thyroid).
We discuss most things . Type 2 life and uk night owl threads are just a small ons. You are most welcome there thou.
Some days i can post alot and some days im busy with medical or family commitments. I feel I've had diabetes 40yrs but just been diagnosed for the past 14.
Welcome and enjoy. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Kimble73 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Kimble73 just to add that you are not alone. Also my husband is useless re-diabetes but everyone here knows diabetes management is down to us not them (although a supportive partnpartner helps hugely).
Talk to us and we can try to be there.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Kimble73 I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so low. Depression does give you an overwhelming feeling of loneliness and isolation. If your medication isn't working as well as it was you should talk to your doctor about changing the dosage or trying another medication.
You seem to be doing well controlling the diabetes by losing 40 lbs, and diet and exercise, well done! As for people not understanding, I think that goes for most people who don't have diabetes themselves. Probably we didn't understand it until we became diabetic ourselves. You will get support and encouragement on here from people who understand.

Reactions: Energize

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome, I think we all have times in our life when things get us down and Tophat is right 'we don't get a free pass'. I can certainly empathise him having lost my younger brother to cystic fibrosis. I have suffered with bipolar for a few year and have times when I'm down and sad a lot, sometimes for no reason what so ever and it's hard I know. You just have to tell yourself that you are going to be ok and get through things. As for the T2 I certainly get where you are coming from, I sometimes (just occasionally) get really annoyed seeing people scoffing chips and crisps and cake and chocolate and pasta and potatoes and all the rest of the stuff we are told we Must Not Eat as we like anymore, they munch away to their hearts content. You have to try and find a way to be optimistic because all the stress of it will only make you ill physically. I'm sure if you come on here you will start to feel better and have people just like you who you can chat with and maybe pick up a few things that may help with your T2 or other things.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi and welcome.
I know how you feel being a depressive for you last 12 years and now diabetic. Friends and family don't understand and often don't bother to try to understand either condition and you can feel so very alone. But you have come to the right place for people here know exactly how you feel and you are no longer on your own.
Grief is so hard to deal with, and there's lots of different stages you have to go through and we all do that at our own pace so don't beat yourself up about it. Take your time it does get easier eventually we don't forget we just learn to cope better.
If you feel your antidepressants aren't working so well please discuss it with your Gp, they may be able to increase the dose or try something else, theres loads of them out there don't suffer in silence.
Good luck with it all.
I'm going to follow this thread so if you need to chat then either send me a private message or add to this thread and hopefully I will pick it up.
Take care
Maggie

Reactions: Prem51 and Energize