1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New insulin pump via NHS funding

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by adi_mrok, Nov 14, 2020.

1. adi_mrok

adi_mrok Family member · Member

Hi there, is anyone replacing their insulin pump in 2021 through nhs funding? If so did you hear anything from your clinic about post brexit arrangements, if funding is gonna change or if deliveries are going to be delayed?

Question 2 is what are the chances that someone can loose insulin pump funding? My wife got one from nhs in 2017 (we moved to uk in 2016) and is on pump therapy for last 15 yrs and this is really a game changer for her and helped her get hb1ac in grip. Now we are just bit concerned if someone at the clinic won't decide that she needs to go back to pens :(

2. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @adi_mrok, I can't help on the first question as my pump is supposed to be replaced this year :nailbiting:
    On the second question, funding can certainly be withdrawn, but I don't think it happens very often. I changed hospitals this year but at my old clinic they threatened to withdraw funding, meaning I wouldn't have gotten a replacement when my warranty expired. I don't know if that would have actually happened, when I told my new consultant what had been said, they were horrified.
    When I moved hospitals I knew there was a chance I may not have been able to continue with a pump (different CCG) and my new consultant wanted to know why I had started using a pump. Because the problem that led to me needing one hadn't come back whilst on the pump, they were happy to continue funding it. If your wife is at the same clinic that prescribed the pump then I can't see them withdrawing funding without a very good reason.

3. adi_mrok

adi_mrok Family member · Member

Hi Sleepster thanks for letting me know, she has changed a clinic but I think doctors are pretty happy with her results so I hope that will encourage them to keep the pump therapy. Hope to see some more replies as obviously we are a bit worried about current turmoil in the world. Again thank u for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook