New insulin user; advice, please?

elaine77

Wow that is a lot... I only take 9 units in the morning and 15 on an evening... I have no insulin resistance though and am still producing some of my own insulin which is probably why my doses are quite low...

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Thanks for the reply. Yes, a BMI of 27 isn't too bad and you're losing weight. As you know your BMI is very high. I wonder whether you are actually a Late onset T1 and possibly mis-diagnosed like I was as a T2. I wonder whether a move to the Basal/Bolus regimer might help? It gives much better control than mixed insulin and is a better solution if you are essentially a T1. It does mean more injections and two insulins but you can tweak things to get the best carb/insulin match. Do discuss with the DN/GP.
Might be a late T1 or LADA. I am showing traces of ketones on ketostix. Whole thing is perplexing me. Going to have discussion with DSN.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Wow that is a lot... I only take 9 units in the morning and 15 on an evening... I have no insulin resistance though and am still producing some of my own insulin which is probably why my doses are quite low...
Yip Elaine...mega doses and a box of 5 kwikpens lasts 17 days

Lesley121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Eddie. Am I right in guessing your BMI is a bit on the high side? If so then it is important to get this down to reduce insulin resistance which can cause a vicious circle with insulin. Do low-carb if not already doing so. As weight reduces the amount of insulin will also need reducing to keep checking with the meter.
I am on humulin twice a day 52 units and still haven't got good bg levels