New job / working hours

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I've just changed jobs after 12 years of working in one place I've always worked 8am - 4pm. My new job has working hours of 8:45 - 17:15pm. I'm finding it really difficult to control my blood sugars on these working hours. I'm not getting home till 6pm therefore not eating until 7pm and am finding my blood sugars peaking around these hours and difficult to control. Do you think I would have a case under the Equality Act to request a change in my working hours?
Thanks in advance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been in your new job, Linda, and did you know the working hours before accepting the offer?

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No I don't think so. I worked shifts as a Policeman for 26 years and no concessions were offered to me, I just had to get on with it. I work shifts now in my part time job, and again just have to get on with it. You will soon learn to adapt to this system of working. Don't mean to not be sympathetic but that's reality I think. You could always speak to your manager and point out how difficult you are finding it working those hours.

Reactions: smc4761

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s an adjustment which unfortunately you will have to work extra hard at. You will get there in the end I am sure. With insulins as they are today, we do not have to eat at set times. So really, you should be able to adjust over time.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I've just changed jobs after 12 years of working in one place I've always worked 8am - 4pm. My new job has working hours of 8:45 - 17:15pm. I'm finding it really difficult to control my blood sugars on these working hours. I'm not getting home till 6pm therefore not eating until 7pm and am finding my blood sugars peaking around these hours and difficult to control. Do you think I would have a case under the Equality Act to request a change in my working hours?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Linda, I would say no. Those hours seem perfectly acceptable and there must be hundreds of diabetics who would love to work them. I (like others) work 24/7 shifts and am also on insulin, in my job I have NO predictability about what I am called upon to do during the shift. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but diabetes in itself (although it is classed as a disability) is not a condition that can only be managed properly between 9 and 5 or whatever. Can you give us more details about how you have had to adjust and maybe we can come up with some ideas? x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi all,
Thanks in advance.

I fail to see the issue. That's hardly a big change in start and finish times

bmtest

Some excellent advice given already, changing jobs is always difficult and there is a bedding in period.

I will give you some food for thought here, pretend you had me as your manager and you requested a change of hours which are literally an hour out of step with from your previous job, I would say so what you are telling me when they alter the clocks from GMT to BST for daylight saving hours you want me to change your hours again ? A better approach would be to settle in and approach them from another angle i.e have you a problem with me starting an hour earlier as it suits me better and see what they say.

Good luck things will work out they always do.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
A couple of additional thoughts... is it possible that the stress of starting your new job is affecting your BG levels? or even that your basal level needs adjusting (perhaps your previous working/eating patterns hid a rise in BG around 6pm?)