New member MIDD MELAS rare mitochondrial diabetes

sunshine999

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
RAISING AWARENESS genetic diabetes

MIDD: Maternally inherited Diabetes and Deafness

MELAS: Mitochondrial Encephalopathy, Lactic Acidosis and Stroke-Like Episodes (don't take metformin)

Genetic Test: mitochondrial gene mtDNA 3243a->g mutation

anyone with these rare form of mitochondrial diabetes feel free to connect.
I think as genetic testing is done more routinely, our rare diabetes and disease will be more recognized.

possible symptoms: deafness and diabetes, thin, short stature, gestational diabetes, migraines, balance attacks,
exercise intolerance, myopathy, speckled pigment in retina, cardiomyopathy, seizures

Reactions: gemma_T1

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Thank you, you have certainly raise my awareness.
I will be thinking of you.

Badgerbitesm3

Just been diagnosed with Midd after being diagnosed type 2. Wasn't happy with the diagnosis so went private as I'm skinny. My mum has been "type 2" for 20 years, has lots of health problems now, the diabetes nurse at the gp basically blamed her for the complications, even though her blood sugar were 46, and consistent. She has now been referred to the hospital to have a genetic screening. It's a scary disease and the more of us there are the more likely they are to do research into it

Clairey2708

RAISING AWARENESS genetic diabetes

MIDD: Maternally inherited Diabetes and Deafness

MELAS: Mitochondrial Encephalopathy, Lactic Acidosis and Stroke-Like Episodes (don't take metformin)

Genetic Test: mitochondrial gene mtDNA 3243a->g mutation

anyone with these rare form of mitochondrial diabetes feel free to connect.
I think as genetic testing is done more routinely, our rare diabetes and disease will be more recognized.

possible symptoms: deafness and diabetes, thin, short stature, gestational diabetes, migraines, balance attacks,
exercise intolerance, myopathy, speckled pigment in retina, cardiomyopathy, seizures

Hi I know mítochondrial disorders are passed on maternally but does the mother always have symptoms? There’s been mention of MIDD for me but my Mam and maternal line have no diagnosis or symptoms? I’m 42 type 2 on metformin, have sensorineural deafness needing hearing aids and now have ? A cardiac conduction problem! Do I push for genetic testing or is it unlikely as my Mam is ok? Thanks