New monitor

lorna_fletcher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What’s everyone’s opinions on the freestyle libre glucose monitor? Just seen it on the news there!

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
It's the single biggest and best improvement of new medication and technology for diabetics in my time as a diabetic, diagnosed 15 years ago. One could probably make the exact same argument for Dexcom and other similar devices, but the point stands. No more skipping out on checking my sugar out of laziness or whatever circumstances would prevent me from doing it, no more uncertainty when I'm out and about or exercising or just feeling a bit weird in general. I can also for the first time actually see exactly how what I'm eating affects my sugar, how long it takes for it to have an affect, how much that walk dropped my sugar, what happened when I was sleeping, and so on and so forth.
Short answer: it's amazing, get it if you can.

BUZZ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's the single biggest and best improvement of new medication and technology for diabetics in my time as a diabetic, diagnosed 15 years ago. One could probably make the exact same argument for Dexcom and other similar devices, but the point stands. No more skipping out on checking my sugar out of laziness or whatever circumstances would prevent me from doing it, no more uncertainty when I'm out and about or exercising or just feeling a bit weird in general. I can also for the first time actually see exactly how what I'm eating affects my sugar, how long it takes for it to have an affect, how much that walk dropped my sugar, what happened when I was sleeping, and so on and so forth.
Short answer: it's amazing, get it if you can.
My son wears one and loves it as he is a student nurse so it is a massive help when he's on a shift in the hospital. I have tried it and although it's a great idea it does have its negatives. I have knocked a couple off as I've walked through doorways and they've only been on a day or so and I've also had them fail after a few readings. I would only wear one if I was maybe going away and didn't have the facilities to wash my hands for testing.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
My son wears one and loves it as he is a student nurse so it is a massive help when he's on a shift in the hospital. I have tried it and although it's a great idea it does have its negatives. I have knocked a couple off as I've walked through doorways and they've only been on a day or so and I've also had them fail after a few readings. I would only wear one if I was maybe going away and didn't have the facilities to wash my hands for testing.
There is a very simple solution to that particular problem; don't wear it on the outside of your arm facing walls etc, wear it on the inner arm. I've been wearing it there for almost a year now, never had one fall out or get stuck on anything.

Reactions: PrivateHireGuy

BUZZ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is a very simple solution to that particular problem; don't wear it on the outside of your arm facing walls etc, wear it on the inner arm. I've been wearing it there for almost a year now, never had one fall out or get stuck on anything.

Ah right the have never suggested that

christine1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone else having issues with libre sensors dropping out after exercise? I been through four sensors in ten days which will cost the NHS a fortune. I've been told not to use adhesive by Abbott as it will mess with readings. I've used tape but it doesn't last. The issue is I sweat enough to pop the sensor out and I don't want to stop running!! I have the same problem with my omnipod too!
Think I will try inner arm next!

Janlovely

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate being idle
Hi all.

I’ve heard that diabetics can get this sensor for free if you are T1D. How accurate is this ? I’m tired of prinking fingers and I’ve been diabetic for over 21years on insulin. I also want to change to pump , any advice please ?

Thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all.

I’ve heard that diabetics can get this sensor for free if you are T1D. How accurate is this ? I’m tired of prinking fingers and I’ve been diabetic for over 21years on insulin. I also want to change to pump , any advice please ?

Thank you
It depends where you live.
The latest NICE guidelines for England say that the LIbre 2 of Dexcom ONE should be available for anyone with Type 1 diabetes.
I have heard that some GPs are still pushing back on this but if you are treated (in England) via a diabetes clinic, they should be proactively prescribing Libre 2. Some offer Dexcom ONE as an alternative but it is a later entry to the market so not as popular.
You will also need a way to read the sensor. There are dedicated readers but the availability seems to be very patchy. Abbott seems to encourage use of the LibreLink app.

Note that no CGM will replace ALL finger pricks. The value of them is knowing what happens between pricks (or swipes).

• Useful
Reactions: David_E and EllieM

nikkih80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just switched from.glucose machine to this after 30 years and finding it difficult. It's came off twice and I need my phone constantly with me and charged which i never did lol but i find the alerts so beneficial. Small minor things but hopefully it settles soon

nikkih80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all.

Thank you
I had to meet a criteria for free sensors I live in northern Ireland and also had to do a training session before I was accepted

Reactions: jodie9