1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New monitor

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by lorna_fletcher, May 16, 2018.

1. lorna_fletcher

lorna_fletcher Type 1 · Member

What’s everyone’s opinions on the freestyle libre glucose monitor? Just seen it on the news there!

2. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's the single biggest and best improvement of new medication and technology for diabetics in my time as a diabetic, diagnosed 15 years ago. One could probably make the exact same argument for Dexcom and other similar devices, but the point stands. No more skipping out on checking my sugar out of laziness or whatever circumstances would prevent me from doing it, no more uncertainty when I'm out and about or exercising or just feeling a bit weird in general. I can also for the first time actually see exactly how what I'm eating affects my sugar, how long it takes for it to have an affect, how much that walk dropped my sugar, what happened when I was sleeping, and so on and so forth.
    Short answer: it's amazing, get it if you can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BUZZ

BUZZ Type 1 · Member

My son wears one and loves it as he is a student nurse so it is a massive help when he's on a shift in the hospital. I have tried it and although it's a great idea it does have its negatives. I have knocked a couple off as I've walked through doorways and they've only been on a day or so and I've also had them fail after a few readings. I would only wear one if I was maybe going away and didn't have the facilities to wash my hands for testing.

4. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is a very simple solution to that particular problem; don't wear it on the outside of your arm facing walls etc, wear it on the inner arm. I've been wearing it there for almost a year now, never had one fall out or get stuck on anything.

5. BUZZ

BUZZ Type 1 · Member

Ah right the have never suggested that

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook