New Mum: Fed up with being in the 2s :(

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991

when i had my daughter in dec 2012 i was told to revert back to my insulin regime i had before i was pregnant as i didnt require as much insulin post pregnancy . it seem to work ! also my doctor told me i had to go to bed on an average reading of 10 -12 taking my long lasting insulin for nightime also which seem to work most nights as woke with blood sugars about 5-7 . dont know if any of this info will help you , but its worth knowing !! hope everything corrects itself soon , as i know its scarey to have low sugars whilst your on your own with your child .
Thanks, I set my pump to my pre pregnancy dose the day I had her but it's not right, I'm still having to reduce it and tweak doses and things xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @claire1991 , sorry to hear about all your lows and how worried you are about your levels. I'm also sorry I can't give any advice, but you are doing great!! Hopefully with some more trial and error, the lows will become fewer, you will regain confidence in a new insulin regime, and your biggest worry when with Holly will be nappy changes ;) All the best mama!! x x
Thanks Erin, fingers crossed! xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sending a virtual hug your way. I'm sure it will get better in time, we have all gone through up's and down after pregnancy, I remember the hypo's, so tired, ( older mum) prem baby taking 1 1/2 hours to feed ( she latched on, a couple of sucks then lay there with nipple in her mouth) one time I nearly feel off the bed through exhaustion, but when she slept through for 5 hours, it was bliss. Take care, you are doing really well :) x

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much for everyone's nice replies! You're all so lovely, it's nice to know that everyone is there for each other :)
So nice to know I'm not alone with this!

@Kateyo I've got family just around the corner who I've been relying on which is a god send!! I don't know how I'd manage without them
It's just a nice comfort to know they arent far when you're dealing with the hypos isn't it. Hopefully it'll all settle soon for you x

Reactions: 2 people

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar thing during the first 2 weeks after Jacob was born (paternity leave) I could basically get away with eating ANYTHING and not go high (had lots of lows though). It did tail off in the end but I did find that being up regularly in the night can make me hypo. I think it's because you do so much more (going up and down stairs all the time etc...)

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Good luck with getting stable. You mentioned you've stopped breast feeding. Although you've done this your body may still be producing some milk which could be contributing to the lows. I find that i tend to go low when asleep as you produce milk when relaxed. Also even without feeding your body still had lots of hormones. To give you an idea my baby is only just 4 months and i'm now finally losing the hair i kept in pregnancy. This pregnancy was the only one i didn't have a coma postnatally thanks to the pump. I kept on adjusting my basal down and had put the carb ratios up fast. I also do it in larger increments than most here as i'd rather be high than low. Also keep lots of food by your bed. Cartons of juice and nakd bars have been my go to this time. Good luck and i hope you find the right balance soon.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Also one thing that helped me was when one of my twins was crying so much tears were coming out of his eyes because i'd fed him, was feeding his twin and he'd decided he wanted seconds and I hadn't yet worked out tandem feeding was something my husband said. He's a very efficient mechanism who's designed this way in order to survive. You have to remember this is their only way of communicating for a while and try and keep calm. I sobbed along with him at the time. ...

Also how much are you resting? It's really important for anyone to spend lots of time sleeping and taking it easy at this stage. Plus you had a cs. Pushing yourself to do lots is unlikely to help your sugars