New Novo NOrdisk faster acting insulin name?

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi, can anyone help? My consultant has asked my go to try a faster acting insulin that asts within 2 minutes. I use a pen made by Novo Nordisk And currently use Novo Rapid as my bolus insulin. Can anyone tell me the name of this insulin as the consultant left if off the letter to my doctors surgery? Many thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can anyone help? My consultant has asked my go to try a faster acting insulin that asts within 2 minutes. I use a pen made by Novo Nordisk And currently use Novo Rapid as my bolus insulin. Can anyone tell me the name of this insulin as the consultant left if off the letter to my doctors surgery? Many thanks.
Fiasp.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thankyou, I thought it could be but good to get confirmation.

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, this is definitely FIASP.
However, you may be disappointed if you expect it to always act within two minutes of injecting.
I have been using Fiasp for a few years. If my BG is in the 4s and low 5s, it acts faster than my body takes to digest carbs so I have to bolus after eating.
That is far from the case when my BG is in double figures. It can feel as if I am bolusing water until 90 minutes or so later when my BG plummets because I was getting impatient and may have rage bolused.

A couple of other observations
- it does not last as long out of the fridge as NovoRapid. For me, I notice the potency has reduced when it has spent two weeks out of the fridge.
- some people report that it can sting when injected. I do not feel this.
- some people describe that it became as slow as NovoRapid for them after a few months.

Good luck with your findings.

• Informative
Reactions: Zinadane and EllieM

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
As others have said - Fiasp (which is essentially NovoRapid with added nicotinamide/B3 to make it absorb quicker)

Works great for some, not for others - its a 'try it and see' situation.

Can be uncomfortable - started off being evil for me, then went away to not noticeable (but took a long time).

Also found it to be terrible above 12mmol - needed a ton of it to lower BG, which eventually crashed like a stone (as I said though - works great for some).

Alternative to Fiasp is
Lyumjev which is Humalog with a vasal dilator ( Treprostinil ) added to speed up absorption - again it works well for some and not others.

I found Fiasp was active at 10-20 mins, peaked at 45mins and trailed off over about 3-4 hours if on injections, giving it 9 hours active profile for pumping.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the update CheeseSeaker. Local GP wants me to talk to diabetes nurse before getting prescription so good to get insight.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, this is definitely FIASP.
However, you may be disappointed if you expect it to always act within two minutes of injecting.
I have been using Fiasp for a few years. If my BG is in the 4s and low 5s, it acts faster than my body takes to digest carbs so I have to bolus after eating.
That is far from the case when my BG is in double figures. It can feel as if I am bolusing water until 90 minutes or so later when my BG plummets because I was getting impatient and may have rage bolused.

A couple of other observations
- it does not last as long out of the fridge as NovoRapid. For me, I notice the potency has reduced when it has spent two weeks out of the fridge.
- some people report that it can sting when injected. I do not feel this.
- some people describe that it became as slow as NovoRapid for them after a few months.

Good luck with your findings.
Thankyou.