New omnipoder

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good afternoon all,

Just thought I would write some of my thoughts down, you guys might find it interesting as I am guessing being on here you either have an interest or have diabetes.

I’ve been a diagnosed type1 diabetic for little over a year, had a turbulent sort of year. I also had my thyroid become under active in May which knocked me for 6! The one thing I didn’t want these disease’s to stop me doing is exercise, with a lot of trial and error, and some really painful legs when my thyroid stop doing as it should, I feel pretty confident getting out and running or going to the gym. Just been out and ran 10 miles this morning in-fact.

Until last week I was on a Basal (levemir) AM/PM split and bolus (novorapid) regime, worked ok but found unplanned exercise really tough, carb counting was scratchy but I got through it and my HbA1c was around 58 a month ago which I was pleased with.

Thankfully I have been accepted to go onto pump therapy to try control lots of hypo’s after long runs and heavy sessions at the gym. I went through Dafne which for me was extremely positive and I learnt a lot and now using an omnipod.

This change has transformed my life, I have happily signed up for Edinburgh Marathon for next year which I really thought wasn’t going to be possible and getting to grips with understanding how my BG’s are affected by running/weightlifting and adapting my basal presets to make things a little easier. I couldn’t be happier with my new regime and understanding of my own diabetes.

One happy diabetic

Jeff

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jeff_uk !

I started running when I went onto a pump - for the preceding 29 years I hadn't dared to exercise due to risk of hypos. My pump has given me so much confidence in that respect! I'm running the Brighton 10k tomorrow, if my recurring leg issue that's just started niggling again doesn't get in the way......

Sounds like you and your Omnipod are a good team!

:)

Reactions: Type1Bri

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Jeff_uk !

Snapsy,

Best of luck with tomorrow’s run! Hope you’ve had a week cutting back the training a little bit and the leg issues don’t cause you a problem.

I honestly can’t believe the difference in the 2 therapies. It’s so hard to explain to people that don’t have to live with it daily! Loads of people think I now don’t need to check bloods , and my injections weren’t an issue as such to me! It’s the flexibility, I love it!!

Jeff

Reactions: Type1Bri

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi @Jeff_uk !

I started running when I went onto a pump - for the preceding 29 years I hadn't dared to exercise due to risk of hypos. My pump has given me so much confidence in that respect! I'm running the Brighton 10k tomorrow, if my recurring leg issue that's just started niggling again doesn't get in the way......

Good luck on your 10k, let us know how it goes

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Snapsy,

Best of luck with tomorrow’s run! Hope you’ve had a week cutting back the training a little bit and the leg issues don’t cause you a problem.

I honestly can’t believe the difference in the 2 therapies. It’s so hard to explain to people that don’t have to live with it daily! Loads of people think I now don’t need to check bloods , and my injections weren’t an issue as such to me! It’s the flexibility, I love it!!

Jeff
Going onto a pump has allowed me to do this personal challenge https://type1bri.com/zero-marathon-359-days

Reactions: Jeff_uk

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Snapsy,

Jeff
Thanks @Jeff_uk ! Sadly I did too much three days running Sat/Sun/Mon and had to abandon a gentle run on Thursday as I really didn't hold up much hope to not hurt!

BUT I'm running with several others from my club so I shall be reminded to take it easy! I'm not aiming for a specific time, just to avoid injury. Shall report back!

I love the bit in your post about people thinking you don't need to test now you're on a pump! My mother-in-law gets very excited telling people 'oooooooooooooooh her pump does it all FOR her'! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck on your 10k, let us know how it goes
Thanks, @Type1Bri ! It's only my second - I did one in April and managed to really hurt my legs in the process - thought I had been gradually getting over the issue until overrunning last weekend. Grrrrrrrr! Really looking forward to it, though.

I'll report back tomorrow!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Snapsy

How did the run go?
I clean forgot to update you! Thanks so much for asking, @Jeff_uk !

I got round in the time I'd hoped for (ie at non-injury pace!) without stopping, and I had an absolute ball! I was needing to go no faster than 10k in 1hr 10, but I didn't want to take longer than 1hr 15 for my own sense of achievement - so my 1hr 11:24 was absolutely spot-on in terms of my pacing - wooooooo! I was disappointed when it was time to stop, I was having such a great time! Which means.......... I've got a HALF in my sights next! I mean, if I felt like keeping going, I could've KEPT going, right? ;)

I turned my pump down LESS than my gut feeling told me - and paid the price by being way higher than I'd've preferred. Mind you, if I had to err on either side of 'optimum', I consider it better to run a little higher than a little lower. I made exactly the same mistake at the first 10k I did!

Loved it loved it loved it, though.
:happy::happy::happy:

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Snapsy

Really well done on the run!! Getting an injury just before an event is so annoying.. managed to get out for 6 miles before work this morning life’s alright on a pump

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
managed to get out for 6 miles before work this morning
Cool - nice one! I was 2.7 on waking this morning, having yet again overdone it at the gym in the afternoon and NOT taken the right steps to reduce my basal later than usual and for longer than usual overnight..... grrrrr! Still, I'm reminding myself that Wednesday is a rest day, so I'm not too gutted (I would have swum this morning had I not been low). I will get to grips with these post-exercise hypos, really I will!

In other news I've just this morning registered for the Worthing Half in February.......
:nailbiting: