New Patch pump user - pens or pump better for weight loss?

type1gabs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I have been on the medtrum patch pump for a month now, omnipod was too expensive so I was offered this one instead. I wanted to try pumps as been on pens my whole life and wanted to see what the hype was about

I appreciate it has only been a month but just looking for advice. My basal is correct and I have some beautiful 100% days. I’ve had about 5 pump failures and waking up to sky high sugars and had to change the pump - some reason it seems to be harder to get my sugar levels down (I use injections for the corrections when I’m high) compared to when I was on the pens.

I am really trying to tone and lose weight as I am getting married next year. I exercise 5x week and eat low carb diet and I love this lifestyle, however counteracting the pump failures and highs just are making me maintain and gain a bit more weight.
I am definitely in calorie deficit I use MyFitnessPal to log everything and stay between 1200-1500 calories.

I just was wondering if anyone had tips or experience to lose weight whilst on a pump or is just going back to pens better?

Thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am confused why pumping would make any difference to weight loss.
I too am a Medtrum user. At first I had some issues with more occlusions than my previous pump but this is very rare now.
The Medtrum team has been fantastic for me - I would recommend talking to them and seeing if they have any suggestions.

Reactions: Colin of Kent