1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Patch pump user - pens or pump better for weight loss?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by type1gabs, Jun 23, 2021.

1. type1gabs

type1gabs Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone

I have been on the medtrum patch pump for a month now, omnipod was too expensive so I was offered this one instead. I wanted to try pumps as been on pens my whole life and wanted to see what the hype was about

I appreciate it has only been a month but just looking for advice. My basal is correct and I have some beautiful 100% days. I’ve had about 5 pump failures and waking up to sky high sugars and had to change the pump - some reason it seems to be harder to get my sugar levels down (I use injections for the corrections when I’m high) compared to when I was on the pens.

I am really trying to tone and lose weight as I am getting married next year. I exercise 5x week and eat low carb diet and I love this lifestyle, however counteracting the pump failures and highs just are making me maintain and gain a bit more weight.
    I am definitely in calorie deficit I use MyFitnessPal to log everything and stay between 1200-1500 calories.

I just was wondering if anyone had tips or experience to lose weight whilst on a pump or is just going back to pens better?

Thank you

2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am confused why pumping would make any difference to weight loss.
    I too am a Medtrum user. At first I had some issues with more occlusions than my previous pump but this is very rare now.
    The Medtrum team has been fantastic for me - I would recommend talking to them and seeing if they have any suggestions.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook