New Patient with Metformin questions

JamieWhite

Hi

I was diagnosed a week ago following a standard fasting blood test with a sugar level of 7.8. I have a yearly check as I have high blood pressure due to being more than a little overweight. They then did a Hba1c test and I think she said it was 61 but I can't remember as I was a little shocked - although I think in my mind my lifestyle had it coming. I have a meeting with the diabetic nurse tomorrow and have found the question list here and other general information really helpful, but am sure there will be more to come. I stopped drinking every night, lost 3KG's in the last week and am eating under 1600 calories and exercising moderately. I have been given slow release Metformin 500mg to take in the morning and in the evening with food. I started this Monday, as I had a reunion at the weekend and wanted to enjoy a last beer. I have a delicate stomach at the best of times so was dreading the Metformin having read so much about it. I thought I had got away with it as the first two days where fine, but now its not so good. The thing after I have taken it I feel a bit twitchy in my stomach, but then I have my Wholegrain sandwich and an hour later is off to the loo. Then I am hungry eat in the evening and am fine. I know its only been 4 days on the drug but I was expecting to be ill after taking it not in the middle of the day, is this common.

Problem is I have a 5 day work conference in a week and I can't in anyway afford to be slightly ill so am hoping it will go, or I may have to stop for a few days.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi unfortunatly not everyone can tolerate metformin :( if its very important maybe stopping them now until you get back would be the way to go, the great changes youve made should be enough to start correcting thing for now, im not in anyway medical so hopefully someone with more nouse than i will come along

good luck :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JamieWhite

Hi

Thanks, I will discuss stopping with the nurse as that will be after lunch tomorrow, I understand it takes 2-3 days to get the drug out of your system anyway. The good thing was after 2 days I did my own test and it was 6.3 first thing in the morning.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. Most people manage OK with Met SR but obviously you are one of the unlucky ones. If it doesn't settle after a few weeks then do discuss stopping it with the nurse. The most important thing is losing weight thru a low-carb diet and it sounds like you are already going in the right direction.