1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New relationships and one off’s?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Kevin1987, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Kevin1987

Kevin1987 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have been on the pump for around a year or just over. I have recently come out of a long term relationship of 9 years and my partner was fine with me being on the pump and did not affect anything.

I have become very comfortable with the pump. But saying that the thought now of possible going on dates or getting with someone new has made me think when do you tell someone you wear a pump? Sorry to be crude but if you are going on dates then you might drop it in on a date but if you meet someone and it might end up being a one night stand etc?

Any singletons get any experience or advice?

2. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Get to know someone, get to trust them, tell them about it. To be safe, they'll need to be hypo aware anyways: don't be ashamed, don't feel it's a secret you have to spill: it's a fact of your life, just like your job, your interests, your favourite movie. Don't build it up to be any more than that.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

I'd keep it really quiet until you "know" she's good with it. I wouldn't even tell a first date my star sign

• Like Like x 1
  4. mountaintom

mountaintom Type 1 · Well-Known Member

“Are you alright with pricks?”

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"Don't worry... it's just a little one..."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook