New "SAFE" Statin

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Just out from my T2 review with my doctor and he has put up the Metformin dose from 750 to 1000 since I came up from 7.9 to 8.1 and been progressively rising over time since, having near normal figures a few years ago. Still doing x1 40mg Glicacide twice a day. What's new is that I have to go back and see him in a month after settling on the new drug regime when, he wants to put me on a new expensive Statin that is out. The Doctor did not give it a name but, said that it does not have any side-effects. Wow thinks me, since the old Statins were a bear to suffer for me at least. Any one know anything about this new expensive Statin that is available on the NHS :?:

slipper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would be interested in the new statin as I tried both the cheap and expensive versions and had major problems with both.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
slipper said:
Would be interested in the new statin as I tried both the cheap and expensive versions and had major problems with both.

I too tried various Statins a few years ago and was not at all happy tolerating them and subsequently told the Doc I was not taking them any more. I will report back when I can get more out my Doc on this new wonder Statin that has no side effects, just wonder if any one on here had experience of it.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
clearviews said:
I just put "new statin without side effects" into Google and found this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tists.html

Eprotirome is still several years away from being on the market so this one does not seem to be the one your doctor is talking about. Plus it seems the small trial they did only used men.

Thanks for that, maybe that is what he was that he was referring to :?

I have just re-read the notes (with wifes's 2nd opinion) he put on the piece of paper he handed me and it states ..

1. Excercise
2. Diet
3. Diabetics UK - Reetpi ??

We are reading item 3 as check Diabetics UK site for Reetpi :?
I think what he meant was to check out this site our for Reetpi ?? which I am taking to mean the new Satin with-out side-effects. :?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm afraid I would deploy my usual scepticism. Statins are a long term medicine. For me at 57, maybe thirty years. Have they ever made a drug which is safe to take for 30 years, for anything? How long have they tested it for to determine it has no side effects?

Secondly, you either accept the cholesterol/statin hypotheseis or you don't. If you don't (like me), you wouldn't want to take statins, "safe" or otherwise.

Just one point of view.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Dougie22 said:
I'm afraid I would deploy my usual scepticism. Statins are a long term medicine. For me at 57, maybe thirty years. Have they ever made a drug which is safe to take for 30 years, for anything? How long have they tested it for to determine it has no side effects?

Secondly, you either accept the cholesterol/statin hypotheseis or you don't. If you don't (like me), you wouldn't want to take statins, "safe" or otherwise.

Just one point of view.

Agreed that has been my stance on Statins to date. Don't like or trust Statins in general and myself and friends have had stinking side-effects from them. I know I could use them and that's why I was interested in the so called safe statin

LittleTyke

Dislikes
spinach, artichokes, aubergines
I have stopped statins at the suggestion of my GP. I had seen him because of tingling sensations added to the muscle aches that had been a part of my life (I'm 65) for three years, first on simvustatin, then on Crestor (rosuvastatin). He said, why not stop Crestor for a month and see whether symptoms improve. Well, they have practically gone completely now! My GP has now put me on Fibrazate as an alternative. So far, after three weeks, I can report NO side effects from this drug. My cholesterol, measured just before starting Fibrazate, i.e. after being off statins since July (approx 3 months), was 5.1. I found taking statins was a nightmare. The doc said, sure, they might increase one's longevity, but what's the point if the quality of life is permanently impaired? I do hope eprotirome turns out to be a successful alternative eventually, though it's in its early stages of testing still. So far, diet only is keeping my type 2 diabetes under control (HbA1C=6.5).

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
LittleTyke,

Sounds like you've got a very sensible doc there! You are lucky compared to some of us!

LittleTyke

Dislikes
spinach, artichokes, aubergines
Dougie22 said:
LittleTyke,

Sounds like you've got a very sensible doc there! You are lucky compared to some of us!

Since I moved to Lincolnshire (from Bucks) and turned 60 in 2006 the NHS could not have done more for me. Flu jab, diabetes review, retinopathy screening, advice to have umbilical hernia seen to (done that, OUCH!), constant monitoring of blood pressure, blood status etc. And from what I understand other patients in the area receive the same standard of health care. In addition, the practice staff are always patient, helpful and well-informed. The computer seems to 'know' everything about my health going back several years. The Pilgrim Hospital in Boston frequently gets panned by the Care Quality Commission, yet I have had two operations there and emergency treatment, too, and cannot fault anything experienced there, either in respect of doctors, nurses, trainee staff or porters.

For my part I try not to bother the doctor unnecessarily, keep appointments, and treat him and his staff with respect (unlike some). The media have a convenient whipping boy in the NHS over which to make their excitable dramas like Casualty, but I cannot speak highly enough of the NHS. And now I'm retired and over 65 I don't even have to pay NI contributions and get free prescriptions!