Insulin

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good idea, unfortunately this section just doesn't get a lot of exposure.

Reactions: Barb McD

BredaK

I had a Distal pancreatectomy in October. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Malabsorption and require enzyme replacement therapy in the form of Creon, then last Friday I was diagnosed with Diabetes as a result of surgery, Type3c I believe. I live in Ireland and shocked at the lack of support or information available. I've only started taking the Medications, Creon and Metformin a total of 36 pills per day!! i have no idea what to eat, i wasnt told tyo monitor my blood sugar even though it's at 18....I feel a bit lost, any advice 're food would be great. thanks

Reactions: Barb McD

Honeyend

I had a Distal pancreatectomy in October. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with Malabsorption and require enzyme replacement therapy in the form of Creon, then last Friday I was diagnosed with Diabetes as a result of surgery, Type3c I believe. I live in Ireland and shocked at the lack of support or information available. I've only started taking the Medications, Creon and Metformin a total of 36 pills per day!! i have no idea what to eat, i wasnt told tyo monitor my blood sugar even though it's at 18....I feel a bit lost, any advice 're food would be great. thanks

I found eating little and often helped me. They give you no guidance on diet, I have controlled my sugars by low carb even though my pancreas is damaged, but it will depend what tests they have done to see how much insulin your pancreas is producing if any.
So my tips are.
Eat little and often and if you get no pain from what you have eaten, I would stick to that for a few days, before trying something else.
Get plenty of protein in what ever form you can tolerate to promote healing. I eat a lot of nuts and meat.
If you are on metformin they must think you are producing some insulin so low carb should give you control, if you stick to the same food, avoid the brown stuff, any grain in any form and any sort of potatoe, and no fruit or fruit juice you should start to see your BS go down.

If your BS stable, trying adding something, but not a huge fudge cake. Nearly every drink or supplement the health professionals recommend will send you BS up, I have not tried these but they are fairly low carb.
https://www.purition.co.uk/shop/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk4Xolr2G6AIVjbTtCh2sVACOEAAYASAAEgLXxPD_BwE
Your bowels can give you a lot of discomfort, creon bungs me up, the fat in the nuts seems to make me go.

Give yourself a break. Getting your head round it all is a bit of a.. So if you eat something and your BS goes up do not feel a failure.

I feel really boring but I have to post Dr Unwin, he makes the whole thing about the 'hidden' sugars in carbs easy. I know he talks about type 2 but I am 3c and if you have some function the advice will help.
Join the FB group, we are an overlooked minority so the more of us that can get together its easier to swop information.
Welcome