1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New to all this a parent needing some advice

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by 1505helen, Apr 18, 2013.

1. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great idea for her to sign up. There will a few of us waiting to hear how she's getting on!

Don't be surprised though if she's made to go to the hospital and stay over night. It will depend on her ketones. Mine were 0.9 at their highest and I was allowed home, but she's been double that

2. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think Thundercat is right, it will be a bit of an emotional journey. I was diagnosed when I was 19, behaving exactly how a single male 19 year old student should, so it was quite a shock!

It will be a shock to you guys, no doubt, but she can absolutely live a normal life. It will be a bit of a journey, but getting her to join this website will do her the world of good, it's really improved my control since being on here. All the best.

3. 1505helen

1505helen · Active Member

Hadn't considered the possibility of going to hospital for an overnight stay. Should I take stuff with us to the surgery just in case? Don't want to freak her out but may go sort stuff while she's sleeping (again).

As you can tell I like to be in control so this is very difficult for me as I have none over her pancreas! Will go pack a back anyway and hide it in the boot of the car!

Helen

4. hale710

I took one with me just in case as everyone else I know had to stay in, I did not. Better to have some things ready just in case. Doesn't hurt! Hopefully her ketones and BG will be low enough for her to go home again

5. hale710

How did you get on?

6. 1505helen

1505helen · Active Member

Spent the night in hospital ketones reached 3.1 so she was on a drip and given insulin injections. BG was 15.1 and ketones were 0.9 by the time I left at 11pm. Going back this morning to see the diabetic team hopefully they will let her out today.

Will start a new thread as I seem to have caused confusion with posts in two sections!

Thanks for the support
    Helen x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook