New to carb counting: I need help

MOKES

Hi,

I'm very new to carb counting but am a little confused already.
I was told to count the carbs I'm eating and inject accordingly as per my ratio. This bit I understand, but what if I don't eat any carbs during a meal?? (chicken, meat, salad etc)
My glucose level still rises doesn't it, but how do I calculate what to take....or don't I??

This is prob very simple and obvious but I'm a bit stuck at the mo. Any help would be very gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Mokes.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Re: NEW TO CARB COUNTING

hya,
some people seem to have to inject for proteins but i myself have found by testing that i dont rise more than 1mmol without carbs ,if im eating under 10g carbs i wouldnt inject at all, dont forget though that their are carbs in lots of items, i have a collins carb counter book which i would advise u to buy,its inexpensive and tells u lots about the different carbs, if theres anything else you need to know just ask :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't count protein if it's included in a meal with carbs, I think that the protein is probably included in my normal ratio because I eat a fairly regular pattern of meals. similar amounts of protein,carbs and fat)
if I eat a meal without significant carbs I still have to bolus often more than I would have imagined.To be honest there is ofen more guesswork than certainty in it.(one reason for sticking to a fairly regular pattern of meals)
When eating a salad, I count the carbs, with a largish salad they can be significant.

sandymaynard

Hi Mokes
A good book that explains about carbs
Is got from amazon for £2.99 called collins gem carb counter!
It will give you the carbs for everything that you eat!
I am not on any meds! But i know that i eat alot of salads etc, Tuna and meat is not included in carbs as they are protien!
I hope this helps a little
Sandy