New to Diabetes and the Forum

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

I have just joined and though I would introduce myself and give everyone a bit of back round.

I was Diagnosed with T2 in June 2017. HBA1C was 52 and Blood Glucose was 7.8. Weight was 89 kg so I was overweight for my height.

Before being diagnosed I thought my diet was pretty good as my wife tends to follow slimming world, so it involved fruit, vegetables, low fat cooking. I was a bit of a fruit addict – averaging 4-5 pieces a day, apples, oranges, bananas, berries. Kiwi fruit etc. Admittedly I did eat crisps (about a bag a day) and biscuits/chocolates about 4 times a week. I also suffer with hypertension, controlled with drugs so it stable at relatively normal levels.

Like others, being diagnosed was a wakeup call. Luckily I was in the Diabetes good control zone so no meds were prescribed. I immediately cut out the sweet stuff.

In Oct I was tested again and my HBa1C had dropped to 48 (so just over the line from Pre – diabetes and my weight was down to 86 kg. My GP had signed me up for the X-Pert course which was an even bigger eye opener. Following this I cut out my fruit (I though that fruit sugars were “good” sugars – Doh!) and stopped eating Weetabix, porridge for breakfast, along with rice and potatoes.

I also did some research and decided to adopt a low-ish carb approach. It was a little difficult at first but I am currently averaging 65/70 g of carb per day. My biggest intake tends to be milk (full fat as it is processed less J ) in my tea. As It drink circa 7 – 10 cups a day this does raise my carb intake. I have tried black tea but just can’t get past the taste. I am trying to substitute Coffee for tea but I have noticed over the years that too much (more than 2 cups) impacts my blood pressure.

I started using a My life Pura testing kit in December and test about three times a day. My BG is averaging 5.3 with it averaging 5.8 first thing on a morning. The highest it’s been since I started testing is 6.6 but that was the morning after a curry (Tandoori mixed grill) as I decided to treat myself/family so a high BG was not a surprise or an issue.

My big issue at the moment is the confusing “facts”. I do check the labels on all food I eat for carb levels but this does not help with fresh food. There appears to be discrepancies between (Carbs and Calls book and other information on the amount of carbs in fresh food. I normally take the highest as I would rather overestimate than underestimate my carb intake.

DJ

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Glud go see that the "X-Pert course" is now getting the message out, they switch from "low fat" to "low carb" a few years ago, but it is taking time to retrain all of the course leaders.

PS I can eat a tandoori mixed grill without issue provided I don't have any rice or bread etc with it.

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My big issue at the moment is the confusing “facts”. I do check the labels on all food I eat for carb levels but this does not help with fresh food. There appears to be discrepancies between (Carbs and Calls book and other information on the amount of carbs in fresh food. I normally take the highest as I would rather overestimate than underestimate my carb intake.

In the USA they count fibre as carbs, in the EU/UK we do not. It also depends on how much the veg is cooked, and how ripe it is. Also different people's body degusts the carbs in some veg to a different extent.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ringi,

I did have one chapati and Sag ponir with the tandoori mixed grill so I figure that these last two items added to the carbs for the day.

Thanks for the info on carbs in fresh food. Being new to carb counting it does get a little confusing.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The chapati will have been very bad as it is high carb. The Sag ponir depending how it is made may have a lot of "milk suger" and hence carbs in it. Indian food is hard to work out, as most of us don't know how to cook it, and therefore don't know what goes into it.