New to diabetes T2 and welcome advice please

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Hi

Would welcome some advice please. Newly diagnosed with T2 and just taking Glicazide, which is a sulfonylurea and I have been taking for two weeks. I have not had proper consultation on my diabetes yet and due to see the nurse on tomorrow - tuesday I have been feeling really unwell for the past week or two, really tired, thirsty etc, also having swings of mood, everything is going straight throught if you will pardon the expression.. I passed out on Friday as well. I am not monitoring and was told I probably would not have to. I don't feel in control of this and I am not sure what I should be asking for, because I really don't feel this is being managed. Should I ask for drugs to be changed or this all a waiting game, I have probably had his for 6-12 months, as okay, I ignored the symptons, put it down to stress etc and I know that I have some signs of this as two of my toes are now numb. The really ironic thing is I have just lost 1.5 stones
Any advice on what I expect/hope/ demand?
Thank you.
Iolanthe

Vikingepigen

Hi and welcome to the forums! You are in a good place for some advice and although I am a newbie myself and not no meds, I got really worried for you when reading your posts.

You most definately need to talk to the DN about all this and I think you need to look at your diet too.

I too have just lost a lot of weight and then got diagnosed T2, so do know how you feel.

There will be others with far more expeirence in this area than me, who will reply to you and give you the benefit of their eperience.

Good luck with the DN tomorrow. Do come back and let us know how you got on and what advice you got - just want to know you are ok!

Best
Alice

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Iolanthe,
Welcome on board, I'm on diet only but someone will able to offer you advice. Can you tell us more about your diet? When you see the nurse ask about a monitor and test strips this is the only way you can see the effects of the food you eat on your BG.

Regards Graham

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Iolanthe. Glicazide can cause hypoglycaemia so I don't understand why they say you do not have to test!!Also if you test regularly you will find out which foods put your blood glucose levels up and can modify your diet accordingly.Do you know what your blood sugar levels are because Metformin is the usual first drug of choice in type 2 diabetes.

Iolanthe

Dislikes
Carrots, parsnips, beans and pulses. People who don't get to the point!
Hi

No I don't know at all what my levels are. My GP put me on this two weeks - I was told it was to relieve my symptons. That is as far as it has gone. I had a HBA1 last week, which they then re-did, because the lab "did a full blood count instead of an HBA1". I have had nothing since, no guidance, nothing, only what I can get from the internet myself. I am due to see the Nurse today and have no idea what this will be. As you can imagine, I am quite worried. My GP told me I would not need to test, so I am confused.

B

bolders

Hi ya. I'm currently taking 160mg of Glicazide and 2000mg of metformin a day. When first diagnosed my actual sugar levels couldn't be read they were so high, (high 40's to low 50's) and went through and still do go through some of the symptoms you describe. My levels are still often in the low 20's but the symptoms you report seem to be "normal" for someone coming down off high sugar. Stick in there. It does get better with time and perseverence. Just don't be tempted to increase your sugar intake just to feel a bit better. I made that mistake and it's a silly thing to do.