New to diabetes

Yaqoot

Hello friends, I have been recently diagnosed with diabetes. Am on medication. I would like to know more as to how a low carb diet would help me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, I have been recently diagnosed with diabetes. Am on medication. I would like to know more as to how a low carb diet would help me.

Hi @Yaqoot ,

Welcome to the forum.

What medication are you prescribed? Pending on the types of meds you take it may help with the advice received from other members regarding your diabetes journey?

Please by all means tell us a little more about your diagnosis so far..?

Reactions: EllieM

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It would be helpful to give a little more information to allow people to consider what suggestions to give. For example I am a type 2 (type is important). The only mediation I am on is metformin (this is important as metformin doesn't lower my blood sugar levels in the same way as say insulin). Because of those two facts I am able to go very low carb as I won't get a hypo. That means the advice people gave me was different than if I was either a type 1 or on any medication that would lower my blood sugar levels. What we want to do is to help and not risk your health at all. :)

That said are you testing your levels regularly? If not that is where I suggest you start. I recommend that you log your food, your medication and the resulting blood sugar changes- test before everything and then 2 hours after your first bite. After a while you may begin to notice some patterns. The ones to watch out for (in my opinion) is the levels before you eat and the levels 2 hrs later and the amount of carbs. So for me I know the amount of carbs that will generally increase my levels. But as I said whether you are on any medication other than metformin is really important.

There are a number of other factors that affect your blood sugar levels- stress, illness and lack of sleep. I concentrate on my carb intake as that is something I can usually control.

Welcome.