New to everything

davjuge

hi, i am quite new to using a forum however i needed to find somehwere to get to talk to real peple. i was diagnosed last year bu havnt really come to terms with it and also have been seen by a conveyor belt of health professionals but not heard by any. i am hoping to talk to someone who will be able to answer some questions i have. :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Dav, do you know if you are type 1 or 2? Ask any questions you want,there's usually someone on-line that can answer the questions.

davjuge

hi thanks for replying.

i was diagnosed with type 2 last april or so. before this i had been sick for ages and had thought iwas having heart problems as i had constant pains especially pins and needles, theyseemed to last for hours. so i was being tested for heart issues when i was diagnosed with diabetes. my sugars weere over 20.

when i was diagnosed i was told i would be going on insulin. i met a diabetic nurse ho was going to go over all manner of things when my gp asked me to move surgery as i had recently moved home and she wanted me to have a practice closer to me. in the midst of all of this my diabetes seems to have been forgotten.

i moved to another surgery where they have been helpful but it has been over a year, and i havnt been put on medication as they want me to contol it by diet. i also am worried as i have not had an eyetest or seen a chiropodist. lately i have delt my evyes are very strained, blurred at times. with this there are loads an loads of things that i feel i need to talk to people about who can mayb empathise with what i am feeling.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Do you have a blood testing meter? This is the only way you are going to know what your blood sugars are and find a way to control them.

davjuge

i do have, i must admit i am not good at rembering to do it. I see you are also type 2 and are controlling it by diet. there are times i feel like i am coping but then there are periods where i feel constantly tired and lacking energy, is this just me or is it the diabetes :?:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Going by your description I would say you are running high blood sugar levels.This gives you blurred vision ,tiredness and lack of energy.You need to test first thing in the morning before you eat to see what your levels are like.

davjuge

i have just tested, its says i am 13, is this high. i have a question regarding your diabetes if your feel comfortable in answering it. where yu diagnosed late in life with diabetes and if so what wasthe reason for this.

i feel that my gp surgery is more interested in constantly asking me if i am depressed rather than talking to me about m diabetes or answering questions i have regarding this i understand that they are doing this due to links between diabetes and dpression. but this is a contant. if i am feeling unwell they just cant wiat to ask me if i am feeling depressed, the last time one of the gp's asked me was i feeling derpessed i replied 'that i was p****d off' not depressed i felt that they were just waiting to give me a tablet to take away my worries.

as i see different gp's they give me differnet messages in relation to how my diabetes will be treated. i am tol by iet, then i am told that i will have to go on insulin at some stage. thre may be issues with metaformin as i have a high liver count.

so over the last year i have been researching trying toget to the reason why i have this, i know that i hvnt come to terms with it but i believe i nee to know why. it has been suggested that i have diabetes becaus i am overweight, quite overweight at the moment. howver 6 years ago i was as fit as a fiddle, full of life and about 14 stone, 5 foot 10 inches and exercised regularly. i then started feeling sick and i was putting on weight. i spent ages seeing diffenrent gps to be eventually diagnosed with non alcohoolic fatty liver disease. i was told not to worry about it as the liver heals itself. at thi stage i had wnet upto just uder 16.5 stone.

i thought no more of this until i discovered this article http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/53553.php
rearding NAFLD and diabetes. Research found that most NAFLD patients eventually develop diabetes.
surely this is more thn a coincidence. yet i am made to beleive that it is because am overweight when in fact it is more than likely that am overweight because wasnt diagnosed earlier.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
i have just tested, its says i am 13, is this high. i have a question regarding your diabetes if your feel comfortable in answering it. where yu diagnosed late in life with diabetes and if so what wasthe reason for this.

Yes Dav,13 is high ,even for that time of night.
To answer your question ,I was diagnosed in my 50's.Overweight and under active and ,of course, eating to much of the wrong foods which made me put on the weight in the first place.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi
I don't think you will find out definitively what caused your diabetes. All that really matters, is how well you control it.
Most T2 diabetics are overweight.
Instead of seeing a link, it's become popular to see cause and effect and hence BLAME.thus it's your own fault.
I am T2 also and overweight.
I think that the link is more subtle, that both conditions are caused by a genetic metabolic error, which begins before either condition appears. How else do you account for the 75% of overweight and obese people who are NOT diabetic and the ,admittedly fewer, Skinny T2s
Now how to g4et your numbers down
I prefer to let my diet do most of the work.
that is, cut out sugar, cut right back on, grains,(in whatever form) pasta, bread, potaotes, parsnips. In other words, STARCH.
That eill show an effect quite fast, Keep monitoring BGS and find out which foods push yours up. Your numbers are quite high, so you may well need to have VERY few Carbs. You'll be able to investigate this once your numbers come down into the "safe zone".
Get back to that GP and ask why you haven't been called in. they shouldn't let a diabetic slip through the cracks.

Trinkwasser

If you want to blame someone blame yourself for a poor choice of grandparents <G> there's a strong genetic component to Type 2

Try reading this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

for starters

This is a distillation of what many people have done over many years and among them I know a couple who have reversed fatty liver.

Think pate de foi gras - they stuff geese with grains to make it, so you need to do the exact opposite