New to humalog- anything I need to know (and concerned/ embarrassed revelation)?

Jessitalia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My new doctor has put me on Humalog. When I asked how it was different to Novoraoid she said it was “exactly the same” so I didn’t think to ask anything else.

However! Now I’ve googled it I fear I’ve been taking Novoraoid incorrectly for 15 years!!

It was a big deal when I went on it because before it I had to inject 30 mins before eating. Once Novorapid was introduced I was told I could inject AFTER I’d eaten, therefore counting carbs and adjusting dosage as accurately as possible.

But now I’ve read Novorapid/ Humalog should be injected before food!

What the...?!

So: will I notice any difference with Humalog?

And

Can I take it after eating or is before food better?

Thanks.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using Humalog since the beginning and it is MUCH MUCH better than NovoRapid because Humalog is more consistent and quickly absorbed (you would barely see a drop in BG levels after 3 hours) and works quicker than NovoRapid (in practice not theory). You should take it 10-20 minutes before food, but this time frame is flexible according to your spikes. I usually need 15 minutes pre bolus for morning and evening meals, but for lunch I do not pre bolus as I do not spike. But again, this is an individual thing. Good luck :)

Reactions: Jessitalia

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As always, your diabetes may vary. I see very little difference between novorapid and humalog. The one important point is that you need to inject before food with both insulins.

Reactions: Jessitalia