New to insulin type 2 diabetes

Marcus56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to this insulin injection and start my first injection later today when I get the needles from the chemist. My wife is disabled and we need the car for her many appointments. I know I have to ring the DVLA but I am worried I am going to loose my licence. Please can anyone tell me if there is anything that will help me to not loose it. Thank you.

Reactions: MissMuffett

mouseee

You shouldn't lose it at all. You need to inform them but that's it. There's a leaflet I just found on the DVLA if you Google diabetes and driving which seems quite informative with a quick scan.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sister has been a type 2 diabetic injecting insulin and driving for the passed 40 years she even has limited vision in her left eye which is diabetic related and they haven’t stopped her driving.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been injecting insulin for 20 years.
Like most others in my situation, my driving license is renewed every 3 years.
The way to ensure that your driving license is not taken away is to ensure that you manage your BG well and maintain hypo awareness.
DVLA require you to complete a form which asks whether you have a had a hypo which requires assistance. If this is not the case, you should maintain your driving license.

BDG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been injecting insulin for 20 years.
Like most others in my situation, my driving license is renewed every 3 years.
The way to ensure that your driving license is not taken away is to ensure that you manage your BG well and maintain hypo awareness.
DVLA require you to complete a form which asks whether you have a had a hypo which requires assistance. If this is not the case, you should maintain your driving license.

BDG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Notify DVLA, you should test you sugars before driving. Keep a note book with date, time and reading. Keep a test kit in the car to test again in your return journey home if you have been out for a while. It really is that simple.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also notify your motor insurance company. It won't affect your premium, but if you needed to claim and hadn't told them, it would invalidate your insurance, which is an extra layer of hassle you don't need.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Notify DVLA, you should test you sugars before driving. Keep a note book with date, time and reading. Keep a test kit in the car to test again in your return journey home if you have been out for a while. It really is that simple.
Why do you need to record it in a notebook when all meters have a history?
I was advised not to keep a meter in a car. Not only could it be damaged by extreme temperatures, it is not recommended to use multiple meters as they are not necessarily consistent.
As for testing again if you have been out for a while. The requirement is to test every 2 hours.

Reactions: IanA123
I am new to this insulin injection and start my first injection later today when I get the needles from the chemist. My wife is disabled and we need the car for her many appointments. I know I have to ring the DVLA but I am worried I am going to loose my licence. Please can anyone tell me if there is anything that will help me to not loose it. Thank you.
As a type 2 diabetic and aware of the ups and downs of controlling blood sugars through the use of insulin , I thoroughly recommend the use of CGM (continual glucose monitoring) . I would suggest you speak with your Doctor or diabetic nurse , as someone on insulin you are entitled to a CGM system through the NHS. It takes time to get use to insulin and it's power so I would say the CGM monitoring is essential.

Dad to Paris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry
You should be allowed to drive up to 3.5 T on a restricted licence. it will probably be restricted to 3 years duration as well.
I lost every catergory above 3,5 T when I declared my insulin use about 15 years ago.
I have to renew my licence every 3 years.

Edit..
I forgot to mention, you have to take blood sugar readings every 2 hrs when driving,, an Accu Chek mobile is ideal for this.

Last edited:

huddie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm type 2 and have to use insulin. I have told the DVLA you have to apply for a new driving licence and they tell you to make sure that when you are going to drive to do your blood sugar test and make sure its not low

jessdaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You won’t loose you license as long as it is well managed. My daughter is a type 1 diabetic (not passed her test yet as she has another year) but I have been looking at the guidelines for her, she has to test before and after a journey that really is it. I am type 2 and as of yet not had a problem with driving and I am going onto insulin injection soon.

martin1533

As a type 2 diabetic and aware of the ups and downs of controlling blood sugars through the use of insulin , I thoroughly recommend the use of CGM (continual glucose monitoring) . I would suggest you speak with your Doctor or diabetic nurse , as someone on insulin you are entitled to a CGM system through the NHS. It takes time to get use to insulin and it's power so I would say the CGM monitoring is essential.
I have been told you can only get a CGM as a type 2 if you test 8 times a day and inject at lease twice a day. At present I have been told to test 4 times a day and inject only one at night a lslow acting insulin

stumpyharris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My sister has been a type 2 diabetic injecting insulin and driving for the passed 40 years she even has limited vision in her left eye which is diabetic related and they haven’t stopped her driving.
You should be ok as I too am on insulin but liecence may be reviewed every 3 years

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should be ok as I too am on insulin but liecence may be reviewed every 3 years
What do you mean about MAY be reviewed every 3 years?
The driving licence for someone treating their diabetes with insulin is only valid for 3 years. Each 3 years, you need to reapply.
This should be reasonably painless if you have been managing your diabetes with few hypos and have no other medical conditions affecting your driving.
Lady year, I applied online for a renewed license. It arrived in the post within a week.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @stumpyharris
As a diabetic using insulin, your licence will be issued for 1, 2 or 3 years (maximum), at which time you have to reapply.

The way I read it, you only need to tell the DVLA if you're on insulin for more than 3 months. I have a feeling, following recent test results, that I'm about to be put on insulin. I'm planning to accept provided I can come off it before the three months is up and then go on to my normal meds for a couple of weeks before going back on the insulin. That way the busybodies at the DVLA have no need to know!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The way I read it, you only need to tell the DVLA if you're on insulin for more than 3 months. I have a feeling, following recent test results, that I'm about to be put on insulin. I'm planning to accept provided I can come off it before the three months is up and then go on to my normal meds for a couple of weeks before going back on the insulin. That way the busybodies at the DVLA have no need to know!
It is not about the DVLA being busy bodies. It is about checking your hypo awareness and safeness to drive.
I am not sure how they would view your on off approach if you had an accident whilst on insulin due to a hypo. You may find it is not only the DVLA who are concerned by this. You may find you were uninsured.
Due to the minimal impact and ease of getting the license (and no choice as someone with Type 1), I am happy to drive safely and fully insured.

Reactions: CottonCutiePies

FruityLoops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told you can only get a CGM as a type 2 if you test 8 times a day and inject at lease twice a day. At present I have been told to test 4 times a day and inject only one at night a lslow acting insulin
Myself also, I've only been on insulin for a couple of months (my husband is T1 tho so I'm very familiar), and I asked my Diabetic Nurse about a CGM (up to now I got a trial one, and bought a couple myself but I can't afford to do that regularly) but I've been told I'm not eligible for a CGM on the NHS unless I inject two types of insulin.

spanielsmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rude people!!
I'm Type 2 on Insulin and was told by my GP that I wasn't eligible . Type 1 only.