Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness.
Injustice
Unfairness
Hi
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 1/2 years ago. I have been prescribed Metformin and Saxagliptin.
(I was also on Canagliflozin but I had numerous infections once I started it and have since stopped)

I was due to have bariatric surgery next month but my operation has been postponed because my Hb1Ac score was 104

I am devastated.

My Diabetes clinic is going to start me on Insulin injections.

Before my appointment later today, I just wanted to ask the community for some advice around how quickly the Insulin takes effect and any side effects that I need to know about.

It has been proposed that I will have two types of Onsulin - one 3 times a day and the other as required...

... any support gratefully received.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Alison Campbell - you called??? :) :)

I don't know how helpful I can be as my experience of insulin wasn't very good. I definitely put on a stone for each of the five years that I was using it. I also took Metformin and Sitagliptin (not sure of the spelling of that one).

On diagnosis my BG was 17.8 and I was told to treat it with eatwell plate diet and lifestyle changes.

A couple of years later (despite that diet) my BG was very high - well over 30 - which was when my DN started me on a low dose of Lantus which I increased every three days - the intention was that I would increase this until I got to a point where my BG was testing OK. It took about two months of steadily increasing (and daily phone calls from the DN) before we both realised that wasn't going to happen so she added in Novorapid which I injected just before meals. At first I was injecting a fixed amount and couldn't seem to get my levels correct - sometimes I was low but mostly high. I was a bit of a mess really.

After a friend went on a carb counting course I decided that made sense and was my best option but (I don't know why) I wasn't sent on a course even though I asked my DN and GP and over the next few years I occasionally repeated my request but was never offered to go on one. So - and I wouldn't recommend this - I did it on my own. I read loads on-line and photocopied my friend's course literature and did my best. And it worked to an extent but I honestly say that I didn't like the whole injecting thing and one afternoon I made a mistake with my insulin that forced me to decide to at least try to come off it which I eventually managed to do.

As you can see from my signature, I am no longer using insulin - I eat a very low carb diet and am careful to test my BG seven or more times a day - just as I get up, two hours after breakfast, just before lunch, two hours after lunch, just before dinner and two hours after. The last test is just before going to bed. I also test if I feel 'not right' in any way. The struggle to get down to good BG numbers was very long but it was worth it in the end.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @smithy1783 I am on Basal insulin once a day called Toujeo300 and a bolus called novarapid 3 times a day (or before my 2 or 3 meals that day).
I'm on TIER3 for bariatric surgery and await my clinical decision this friday from the hospital.
You will most likely half that hba1c by using insulin. This most likely will take 3 months, the soonest.
You have come to the right forum to achieve that!
Did your team say they will see you in 3mths time? Call your bariatric nurse and get it from the horses mouth, not my guess work thou.
I was relieved to go on insulin as no meds were working and I was eating only good GI carbs unknowingly spiking my bgs with too fruit and wholemeal bread, brown rice and wholemeal pasta. Porriage too. All not working in my favour and having carb cravings to boot.
Insulin works for me, infact I'm losing weight currently for my target weight.
Listen to your diabetic nurse and you will soon be getting lower bgs than you currently are.
How often do you test your blood with a meter and have you been allowed free testing strips yet?

If you're in a hurry to get your bgs down for the op just focus on insulin to help you do that. Do walking, if you can. Exercise if your able too but many of us bariatric patients carnt for one reason or another. Just keep moving and less sitting.
I'm here for anything I can do to help with the transition. Support wise but always take the advice of your diabetic nurse regarding doses.
You will receive advice here but please always pass it by your team first. They are your medical team, not us.
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Mep and Chook

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 1/2 years ago. I have been prescribed Metformin and Saxagliptin.
(I was also on Canagliflozin but I had numerous infections once I started it and have since stopped)

I was due to have bariatric surgery next month but my operation has been postponed because my Hb1Ac score was 104

I am devastated.

Before my appointment later today, I just wanted to ask the community for some advice around how quickly the Insulin takes effect and any side effects that I need to know about.

It has been proposed that I will have two types of Onsulin - one 3 times a day and the other as required...

I am on the same system. Novorapid bolus and Lantus basal. It takes a little time to get used to the injections, but don't worry as it gets easier with time. Remember to carry something like jellybeans or glucose tablets when you are active to avoid hypos. Be regular wit
Hi

I am devastated.

Don't let it worry you. It will get easier over time. Remember to keep track of your glucose levels and avoid hypos. Keep a supply of glucose tablets with you when you are active and keep up fluid intake. Keep a diary of your bgl's and any high/low readings. We are all with you.

Reactions: Mep

smithy1783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness.
Injustice
Unfairness
Thanks to everyone.
I am hoping to use this Insulin path to get me back on track and then get back on the road to Bariatric Bypass surgery.
I want to get things right as quickly as I can and I hope to become a more active member over coming weeks and months.
Had my first two injections. Painless enough ... lol

Reactions: Mep

smithy1783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness.
Injustice
Unfairness
Just a quick question... when should I do a blood test after taking the Novorapid after tea?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think most people take NovoRapid before their tea, then test 2hrs after first eating.

smithy1783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness.
Injustice
Unfairness
Thanks - will get the hang of it...

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am devastated.

I've been on insulin since beginning of 2010. It sounds like you've been put on basal (long acting) and bolus (quick acting) insulins. I am also on this... lantus for basal and apidra for bolus. The only thing I'd say is to find out your correct basal dosage by testing it. (link: http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007) and learn to carb count and understand your insulin to carb ratio (free course I did.. link: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/admLogin.asp). Keep a hypo kit on you at all times because I've found I have had more hypos on insulin. It sounds like when you get the help you need you could even be able to come off insulin. I'm not in that position, but some type 2's are if they sill have their own insulin production (I'd gather you would as you've not been diagnosed too long). I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on insulin for most of the time I have had diabetes and I have had no problems with it and the insulin takes effect straight away depending on your starting dose which will be low but when they do take the doses higher you will find that you will be okay and your symptoms will be gone and you will not use the toilet as much and your eyes will go back to normal without the buried vision you will get but it is only for a few weeks and then you will be back to normal and you will find that when you inject the insulin in you, you will find where you will be able to do it and where you can't with the odd nerve being pinched but you will be able to figure it out as you go a long time will help you as it did with me and I found out the best places to inject and when not to so that I don't get any lumps there and I took to it straight away from day one when I was diagnosed and I have my own way to do it now and not by how the hospital want me to do it or any of the nurses as I just see them when I need to or if I have problems with anything now as I do my own doses if I need to take it up or down and write it down and place it in a phone app for the meter now