New to insulin

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
So having been in hospital for a week with high blood sugar and particularly nasty kidney infection, just finished antibiotics but not convinced it has cleared and seeing Dr tomorrow.

Hospital put me on novomix 30 6 grams am and 10 grams tea time. I did get BS down to 10.5 which not perfect but better than 20 as was in hospital. Today my fasting glucose 15.5 so disappointed but think I can trace to eating a banana night. I love bananas and so fancied it :(

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novomix I believe isn't the best anyway as it's a mixed insulin, there are many Type 2's now taking the option of a basal/bolus insulin regime which is by far more flexible xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ExChocoholic , for those with any insulin resistance, which is a lot of T2s, sadly taking insulin isn't a free pass to a "normal" diet. Most often some degree of dietary management is required.

Sadly for some with strong insulin resistance, adding injected insulin leads to hunger, which leads to weight gain, which leads to increased insulin resistance, requiring more insulin and on it can go.

Insulin is a wonderful, life changing treatment, but it usually tends to become part of a wider way of living.