New to insulin

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been in hospital the last couple of weeks with breathing problems. Whilst there my blood sugars worsened, and I have been regularly getting numbers in the 20s and 30s

I am now using insulin 20 units twice a day. Is it normal to get an achy tummy and headaches? Thank you

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak
Hi I have been in hospital the last couple of weeks with breathing problems. Whilst there my blood sugars worsened, and I have been regularly getting numbers in the 20s and 30s

I am now using insulin 20 units twice a day. Is it normal to get an achy tummy and headaches? Thank you
Hi!Are you able to check you glucose level on your meter? Because if your blood sugar it's high and has been high a lot then you may be dehydrated and should try drinking some water. If you had food with quite a lot of sugar or generally high in carbohydrate your blood sugar could have got very high suddenly, acute hyperglycemia can give your a very severe stomach ache (acute abdomen. High blood sugar can make you dehydrated and so cause headaches. On the other hand you can also get headaches with Hypoglycemia - low blood sugar. Or it may be a winter bug coming on, or something else. So check bloodsugar if it's high say above 10mmol, take you prescribed insulin and drink a couple of glasses of water, if it's low, say 4mmol then have some digestive biscuits followed by a proper meal, if it's below 3.1mmol then take 2 or 3 glucose tablets followed by a 3 or 4 digestive biscuits and a proper meal, and a glass or two of water. Since you've been in hospital recently, if it persists or you are worried give the doctor or diabetic nurse a ring. Lots of luck, hope you feel better soon.

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your advice. Am drinking lots BS is in 30s at the moment and just taken insulin. Hopefully will come down soon

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, what type are you? Did you just start insulin? Do you take other meds, metformin? Do you normally eat a carb controlled diet? Which would presumably not be possible in hospital as they are criminally ignorant to what diabetics should eat in my experience. Sorry for questions, it may help you get answers if you want to answer them.

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks BS always done with clean hands and has been in 20s and 30s again today. I am also on steroids at the moment so I know that can effect it also.
Am also taking dapagliflozen. Nurse is checking in daily and keeping a close eye on things.