New to pump - help

becki

Hi all,

I am going to be put on a saline start on fri and insulin the following mon, I have been given my pump ( minimed paradigm) to play with at home. Feeling quite scared as when i was speaking to my dsn yesterday the amount of things to remember was over whelming.

I was hoping that someone might have hints and tips or easy ways of remembering things

Thanks

becki :?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The easiest way to remember things for me is by doing them. The saline trial will be good for that, especially getting used to the set changes etc. Spend this week playing with the pump and becoming familiar with the menus and how to navigate around them. It does seem daunting at first with all the information you need to remember but it won't take long and remembering what to do will come easily after a short time. If you feel you'll have difficulty remembering what needs to be done you could write down some notes or create a flow chart to visually give you a cue on what to do at each step.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi becki

my son was put on the pump mon just gone with insulin and the mon before with saline so know exactly how u feel, the week with saline was really good for getting a feel for the pump and set changes glad we had the chance to play before we went live.

the week starting on insulin has been much harder but not for using the pump its great its just getting the right ratios and boluses we are finding hard however we are loving the pump and look forward to a bright future

good luck for fri :D :D

anna marie

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
Diabetes, Sometimes Parents, Homework
I've been using my pump for over 1 year now, and before I had it I pretended I was using it (might sound weird but it worked) and when I actually got my pump I felt confident enough to not the saline test. my advice would be focus on different areas of your pump at a time and don't try to remember everything at once :) I think pumps are excellent and its a shame not everyone has access to one.