new to the site

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
hello everybody.

I'm new to this site so be gentle with me :)

I have already been "lurking" this site for a couple of weeks, but tonight I joined.

a little bit about myself.

I'm just Mr ordinary, tootling along life as you do, but noticed i was getting fatter and fatter, in the last two years i put on about 3 stone. anyways, just after Christmas this year I weighed myself, 17 stone 4, I'm only 5 foot 9. Ive never watched what i eat or drink, I'm an ex soldier and always been relatively fit, so thought to my self stick to proper diet. so ate all the fresh veg and fruit I could, cut out fats, fatty meat, stuck to museli for breakfast, skipped dinner, and salads and pastas for evening meal, my weight was still creeping up. anyways, two months ago i went to docs with tennis elbow, i don't even play tennis lol. anyways doc straps on the bp monitor, that's too high. then she asks about family history for diabetes, my mother is diabetic. so diabetic test ensues, yes Im type 2 diabetic I'm told , was given a diet sheet , told to eat this and that come back in 4 weeks etc.

first thing i did was by a bg monitor and resolved to stick to the diet. I know what diabetes does to people, my mother lost a leg and virtually blind. it's a scary thought.

anyways, throughout April, i did what the docs told me, took my metformin 3 times a day , ate oatmeal for breakfast, tin of sardines for lunch, and a normal meat and 3 veg for dinner, pus fruits and fruit juices.

come end of april, i was still putting on weight, was testing my blood sugars an hour and 2 hours after eating. they were high ish, if i ate a small bowl of porridge, my level would be up to 13. normal meat and veg would be 15 after 2 hours. so assumed i wasnt being strict enough to myself so kept eating the same things , just smaller amounts. my levels were still about 11 ish though after a couple of hours, when i saw my doc again, she said this was normal.

then i found this site :)

since i found this site, and followed some basic ideas, i did a lot of research, I think it was fergus, but without quitting this tirade, i cant say, if it was, TA, in capital letters. i cut carbs. no more potatoes, bread, rice or pasta, a month later, I'm 2 stone lighter, my bg never goes above 7 and im awake at 3:48 in the morning lol.

anyways, that is my way of saying hello, yes im diabetic, but well sod it, lol. i know now what i can and cant do, if opinion changes on a cure, I'll change mine etc.

happy hunting

shobe

Welcome Aboard!

Glad to see your keeping your chin up… and I’ve gotta admire the positives you exude!

Im also new to the sight and love the fact that Im getting answers to my problems very quickly. None of my GP’s or Dietitians have given me as much insight as I have found here.

Anyhow see ya round. :wink:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good to have you join us, Ozzie.

It's great to hear of your success since you cut out the starchy carbs too. I hope more people are inspired by your example and try it for themselves. You're going to stick with it, right?

Since you've also stopped biting the heads off bats, that's going to help too of course.

All the best,

fergus

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
cheers for the replies.

and cheers for the welcome.

as soon as I find the nutritional value of bat heads, I'll post it, otherwise fraid I'm just gona have to stick to kippers :D

as for the Carb cutting, a doddle, the fruit eating was the easiest to sacrifice, I only started "munching" fruit throughtout the day cause of the Doc's insistence on 5 portions a day plus fruit juices and lots of greeny things :? even went out and bought a juicing machine, which is now consigned to dust gathering at the back of a cupboard. Potatoes, bread, pasta and rice, might be a bit more difficult but not really had many for few weeks and haven't missed them yet.

so here's my new mottos, If the doc gives me any more diet advice, I'm doing the opposite.
and, If I have to read a food label to see what's in it and the breakdown, I don't buy it :D

I buy meat things that at least look like they came from an animal, fish, steaks, chops, bacon, chicken etc. no sausages or burgers or that sort of thing, rest is from veg market, so anything green or mushrooms. I drink water or various different teas or wine.

Todays menu

Breakfast, 2 slices of bacon, 2 eggs, half onion chopped, handfull of mushrooms, asparagus (they were in the fridge :lol: all fried ala spanish omelette style.

lunch, 2 kippers

dinner, roast beef, peas, green beans, brocolli and cauliflower cheese. (did accuse the wife of trying to poison me by making a cheese sauce with cornflower instead of just grating cheese on top but that's a different story :twisted:

my highest bg reading today after taking them every half hour was 6.3 and that was half hour after dinner rest of the time it's been between 5.8 and 6.1

so now the big million dollar question.

why does my doc insist on me eating fruit and cereals and pastas etc? I just can't figure that one out.

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
o, and that was without taking my metformin :D which has joined the juicer in it's bid to gather dust :D

ally5555

ahh just another reason why docs should not give advice - fruit juice and smoothies, etc are the worst thing ever for diabetics. Doctors have no ideas re portion sizes - i think i might internally combust!!!!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ozzie, there's a word for those sorts of doctors where I come from. Numpties. There are others too, but I'll have to leave them to your imagination.

Next time you see your doctor, ask him to explain the logic behind asking patients with defective carbohydrate metabolism to base their diets on carbohydrates. Then please get back to us, because we all enjoy a laugh now and then.

By the way, your menu looks fantastic.

All the best,

fergus

AmberAnn

Hi Ozzie and welcome... I'm pretty new here myself having been diagnosed recently(type2)..confirmed on the 8th...since then have been watching my weight ..managed to lose a half stone so far...However I was advised to have carbs with each meal as they provide a slow release to keep on feeling full twixt meals..This info is from the Leeds NHS Dietitians leaflet...So am I getting mixed messages here...I have dropped all sweet stuffs cakes.biscuits/pasty etc from my diet ..added more fruit and salads..I already eat a fair few veg...However I haven't bought a monitor as so far I feel okay on my new regular eating regime...4 evenly spread out meals per day...Plus am increasing my excercise....Like you am ex services (WRAF) was as fit as a lop...But now in my mid 60s so life is catching up with me...

Sweet3x

Hey AmberAnn :)

I think you are right, with having to have at least a few carbohydrates. The above menu contains none at all. At the very least, a slice of wholemeal bread with his kippers and possibly a roast potato with his main course would have been better. No carb diets aren't suitable for diabetics. Low carb diets .. well, I'm sure they work looking at the posts on these forums. I'm still a tad wary of it, though.

*Edit - ofc, I'm speaking from T1 point of view - T2 is probably different :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Sweet3x said:
The above menu contains none at all. . . . . No carb diets aren't suitable for diabetics.

Hi Sweet3x, You are absolutely correct about no-carb diets. In fact they are not suitable for anyone, not just diabetics. But I think what you meant to say is that the above diet contains no STARCH. It is actually packed with carbohydrates - the eggs, onion, mushrooms, asparagus, peas, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower cheese all provide a healthy amount of carbohydrates. Assuming normal portions of each, where Ozzie didn't actually a portion size, I estimate the total to be about 48g of carbs. As well as the carbs it is full of essential vitamins and minerals

Sure you can bulk it up with potato, bread, pasta, rice, but these are all starches that will do very little for you other than raise your blood sugar levels.

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
Helllo AmberAnn.

welcome and ty for dropping in :)

I've only been diagnosed for a couple of months so I'm probably not the best one to advise anything, there are certainly far more knowledgeable people on this site, but that said, please get yourself a monitor, it's very very important, do you have a "Desmond" diabetic course to attend in your area, they give you a free monitor and show you how to use it. I live in Kent and as soon as I was diagnosed was sent a letter to attend one almost immediately. ( I didn't go, but that's another story)

when i was diagnosed i walked straight from the Doc's to the chemist and brought one there and then, and been testing myself very regulary. I wasn't content with the NHS guidline of only test 2 hours after a meal, my mind is a bit more enquiring than that. The first thing I can say is, whatever my blood sugar level was, so far it's been between 4 and 16 approx over the last cpl of months, I have felt absolutely no different, I felt fine when it was 4, I felt fine when it was 16, and before I was diagnosed I had no idea anything was wrong. I only attended doctors for an unrelated reason, my elbow had swollen to the size of a tennis ball after knocking playing football. The doc had me tested because i was distictly portly :oops: plus I have a family history.

so what I'm trying to say, feeling fine is no indication of what is going on in your body, only a monitor can tell you what's happening.

Good that you've lost weight :) when i was Diagnosed I cut out all the usually stuff, sweets, cakes, pastries, including Pasties :( but i also cut down drastically on potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. was still having some with my evening meals, especially pasta cause the wife will insist on saying it's good for ya :) a very unscientific snapsnot I know but in January I weighed roughly 17 1/2 stone, i weighed myself this morning, 14 stone 10 :D and I can't attribute that to exercise, the only exercise Ive been doing is of the marital sort :wink: I spent enough years in the army to know i never want to see inside a gym or go out tabbing ever again :D

enough rambling for nw :)

Ozzie

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
Hello sweet3x.

nice to see you. I would disagree with you on the "there is no carbs" in that menu.

I obtained a list, printed out from a website that list most fruit and vegetables all grouped together by Carb weight. (Can't remember the website name, very unhelpful I know :( ) what vegetables i choose from the list are the 5g of carbs per 200g category, with a smattering of the 5g per 100g group. so yesterdays menu was about 30- 50 g of carbs, which i think is quite sufficient for me.

I also think it's a myth that things such as bread and potatoes release their energy slowly over time, according to my monitor and testing every half hour after eating, i find that I spike to about 13 - 15 within half hour of eating it. with the menu yesterday only managed to get my blood sugar up to 6.3 (without my metformin) at it's highest. (would throw blood pressure into the equation as well, but that's a different rant :) ).

anyways bg level first thing, was 4.9. when i say first thing, i didn't get up till 10ish :oops: was up reading websites again :)

today I'm trying something different, same sort of low carb menu but taking the tablets.

breakfast at 12 (was busy sorting kids etc, no excuse i know and had a couple of cups of tea.
2 x sainsbury tatse the difference beefburgers with cheese (3.2g carb per burger)
leftover cauliflow/brocolli cheese.
1 x 500 metformin

a realy poor menu or so it would seem but it was in the fridge, burgers left over from sunday family bbq and i know i really only should of had one but eh :) guilt trip over.

after 30 mins bg 6.9
after 60 mins bg 7.1

so not as bad as first thought even though i went higher than i would of liked.

so onward with the testing :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi cyclopse180,

As a newly qualified diabetic, it's understandable you're confused by the mixed messages. Take a look around the forum and hopefully things will start to become a little clearer. What you might notice is a growing number of diabetics having great success controlling their conditions by restricting the carbohydrates in their diets. This makes complete sense since carbs are the body's main source of sugar, the very thing diabetes makes it difficult to deal with.

Sick around, and it'll start to make sense soon enough!

All the best,

fergus

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
oops, i didn't carry on with my post, joys of kids off school with half term.

anyways 2 hours later was down to 5,8 again.

evening meal was scrummy.

2 medium fillets of salmon in lemon and coriander sauce
stir fried mushrooms, onions, carrots, green beans
stir fried spinach in garlic and mustard.

readings before 4.9
readings an hour later 5.3

can't be bad eh :D

to Cyclopse.

thanks for the post, it is very confusing I'll admit, i did just what the doctors ordered when i first got told i was diabetic and my blood sugars were everywhere, I now eat things I've rarely ever eaten before and my levels have "stablised" ish and stay on the low side. just check the menus :D

although I'm not recommending any sort of diet as I'm not qualified, let your meter be your guide. Eat the docs menu and test, eat the low carb option and test, do what is right for you, Low carb just seems to be working for me and others on this site.