New to this

Haddo16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
New to this, was diagnosed type 2 in June and have come to terms with it quickly and thought I needed to do something positive so I’ve lost 2 stone 4lb and changed diet to say this I’ve had no or little contact with doctor / nurse And no mentioned of
Taking blood readings, should I and am I doing the right things.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A meter is essential used at the right times. Have you changed your diet? Have a look at the link in my signature. Congratulations on the weight loss.

mouseee

Firstly that's a great loss well done!
Yes to a meter. It means you can monitor how what you eat affects your blood sugar. Test at first bite and two hours later. An increase of less than 2 at that point and you're pretty safe with that food. It's a good way to see how you are doing. There are various apps that you might want to use to record them. I also test if I feel peculiar and that's helped me know and recognise when I'm high or low.

Your diet is obviously good for your weight loss. As you may have read on here a lot of us champion a low carb diet (as in way of eating) to keep our blood sugar under control.

Lots of advice on here so stick around.

Reactions: Bex72

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes well done you - you are heading in the right direction - losing weight, get ideas on what to eat from the nutritional thingy, get guided by your meter on what foods are ok for you and what are not. Any questions just ask - there are plenty helpful, knowledgeable people here to ask.

Reactions: Bex72

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Well done on your weight loss. I have read that weight loss may help with insulin resistance that type 2s have.

Having said that I really agree that you will need a meter. This is the only way you will be able to know what your blood sugar levels are. I've lost weight before without reducing my carb intake, if I knew then what I know now I would have radically changed my approach. I've now lost weight going very low carb and not counting calories and doing way less exercise than in the past. I'm almost t the point where I will try to start running again but in Australia it's winter so exercising indoor is much more appealing.

So congratulations! but get a meter and start testing.

Welcome and good luck.