New to Type 2 Diabetes

Chris Ewan

Hi to all,

I was diagnosed with type 2 in December after a blood test for a UTI. I was initially a little overwhelmed but after spending a many hours educating myself on what I could do about it, I decided to change my life around My doctor recommended a lifestyle change until my first check up in March and then they would assess whether I needed to go on meds. I completely changed my diet and now make all my meals myself... all takeaways and ready meals have gone and I stick to a 1500 calorie a day diet to lose weight which seems to be going well (lost a good deal of weight) and count all carbs. I have about 70-75g a day spread between meals. I was going to the the bathroom every hour before I was diagnosed and now I go about 7 times in a 24 hour period. That's really the only indicator I have as the doctor didn't think a blood monitor would be helpful at this point.

The reason my doctor didn't want me to get a blood monitor is because I suffer from anxiety attacks, which does bring me to my question. Since I changed my diet, I frequently get abdominal discomfort. It's very slight but I've never had it before and it kicks in my anxiety attacks. The doctor has checked me out and although the examination wasn't extensive, he ruled out a UTI and I have no symptoms of anything else apart from the slight discomfort.

So my question is, can it take a while for your body to adjust to a completely new diet? It's just over two months now and I would have thought my body would not take this long to adjust. I'm 61 btw.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since going low carb 11 months ago I have noticed much more abdominal movement, gurgles, glugs etc. As it coincides with weight loss and my bg going down I welcome the noises and feelings as signs that my body is finally starting to work properly. After years of it storing fat, now it digests food more thoroughly and quicker.
I see it as a good sign.
Some days I get a bit of constipation and wind but its nothing to get anxious about.
Celebrate your body that is starting to work!

Reactions: Onlinecaroline
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does take time for the body to get used to the new diet and come to a stable behavior. As you are changing your diet and eating habits, things will fluctuate and eventually you will get to a normal. That being said, I agree with MrsA2 above, I have to go to Toilet more frequently and with a high fiber diet, getting gas and sometimes minor discomfort in stomach is normal. I have tried some extra hard core high fiber stuff such as Glucomannan, Psyllium husk and they tend to really exacerbate gastro issues if you have any tendencies. Otherwise, minor stuff is pretty common.

Hope this helps.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a fellow sufferer from anxiety I would suggest you rethink not getting meter. I would stress too much if it wasn't for the meter. I need to know that I am making the right decisions for my body (and the consequences of bad decisions). All this is done by testing regularly.

People can spike disproportionately to some carbs- you will have no way of k knowing if you don't test. It may be that you can have some of a carb you like without guilt but you have no way of knowing if you don't test.

I get anxiety but would feel it worse if I didn't have some answers.

Chris Ewan

Thank you very much for the replies. It's reassuring to know that I was incorrect on how long it can take for the body to adjust. I still haven't managed to get the fibre numbers, I'm currently on about 20g a day and that's with Psyllium Husk supplement... add to that my water consumption is a lot lower as I no longer get thirsty and that seems to be a recipe for being a little blocked. I will keep tweaking and get those numbers up. Need to find out what else I can have for fibre. VashtiB, my first three month check-up is next week so I will see what the doc recommends. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I've made some progress at least.