New Topic Area - MIDD?

Badgerbitesm3

Hi I've been diagnosed with Midd, I'm a 31 year old male. I'm skinny, and can't put weight on. I've wondered about taking an ATP supplement, see if it helps. Has anyone tried this?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi, I think this is where I belong! I probably have mitochondrial diabetes, though I don't have the A3243G gene mutation.

My first diagnosis was gestational diabetes (age 38), changed to Type 2 postpartum, investigated for MODY glucokinase deficiency a few years later because I wasn't insulin resistant or overweight, then changed to mitochondrial when all the MODY blood tests came back negative. Also I'd had a stroke at age 39 and there's sensorineural hearing loss in my mother's family, so the consultant suspected MELAS.

Low-carbing since 2008 brought daytime bloods back to normal but I always had raised fasting BG (6-7, not scarily high). till I was started on co-enzyme Q10, which miraculously gave me normal fasting bloods. Two years of completely normal (4.6 ish) BG, discharged by consultant, everyone happy, felt like a fraud at 6-monthly diabetes clinic, then just recently all my BG readings are up over 7. Gloom gloom. I'm now waiting to be referred back to the consultant for testing for other mitochondrial diabetes genes and expecting to have to start back on insulin.

I wish I knew more about this condition, but it seems the research is still at an early stage, so even more than other diabetic types we have to go by trial and error.

Kate
Hi @kesun, In the Fact File section of drgregemerson.com under C for Co-enzyme Co-Q 10 there is information about doses and use of oils like oil in fish to enhance absorption of Co Q 10 plus the use of unbiquitol as an alternative to the more usual forms of Co Q 10. Ubiquitol is an unfortunately more expensive but apparently better absorbed form of Co Q 10. Best Wishes.