New Type 1 2021

Hey All

Been lurking through the forum the few weeks following my type 1 diagnosis on the 09th January 2021 so thought I would get involved! 32 year old male.

So story goes, started losing some weight in summer 2020 followed by some random abdominal pains.

Visited GP who said far to young for anything serious so stomach ulcer likely cause.

My birthday in November brought covid symptoms resulting in a positive test and which saw the return of the stomach pains. Weight loss continued. Phoned GP who said, stomach ulcer returned due to covid. Back on the same meds

Christmas came along and mum said about weight loss and suggested go to doctors and demand blood tests. At the same time I had started stealing my partners water in the night due to thirst.

bloods done New Year’s Eve. Same GP called following Friday and said your diabetic, how does that feel?

confused was my response and I was called into the surgery to discuss. Told they believe it to be MODY or type 2 but sent me up the hospital the next day due to Hba1c of 103. That explains the stomach pains, thirst and weight loss then.

junior doc told me he believed type 2 but wanted the senior consultant to check. That senior took one look at me in a packed hospital corridor and went to skinny, type 1. I was a bit offended by the judgement not knowing much about diabetes but in hindsight, he wasn’t wrong!

to be sure, antibodies sent with c-peptide

c-peptide first with a low normal range return of 444. Antibodies followed with znt8 identified in the 200 range. Type 1 confirmed

Currently honeymooning whilst still producing some insulin and waiting for pancreas to give up. Ranges not yet into double figures so on lantus of 8 units. Was 10 but sent me below 3.9 during night. Although I’m still getting that on 8 but nothing 3 jelly babies don’t resolve.

It has taken me a few weeks to consume my diagnosis but I think I am getting there. I knew very little about diabetes beforehand but now am aware of the fantastic creation in the 1920’s that kept millions alive to this day.

furthermore, I acknowledge that if this diagnosis is tough for me now, it seemed a **** sure lot harder for those previous due to the advancement of new technology in recent years.

with that in mind I have a Dexcom whilst waiting for a libre through the NHS. If only that was as quick as the consultants corridor skinny remark, although at least he got it right =D

I know from reading this forum how much of a challenge this will get once my cells are all gone. However, we only get one life so let’s give it a good go. My god I will miss the 6-8 pints on a football away day though :(

I have googled the hell out of the word cure as I’m sure a lot do at first diagnosis. So let me join the club and say, I think one may be 5 years away......we will revisit that comment in 40 years though =D

Anyway, thanks for reading and look forward to using the forum in the years to come

Last edited:
Reactions: JMoli

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hey All

Been lurking through the forum the few weeks following my type 1 diagnosis on the 09th January 2021 so thought I would get involved! 32 year old male.

So story goes, started losing some weight in summer 2020 followed by some random abdominal pains.

Visited GP who said far to young for anything serious so stomach ulcer likely cause.

My birthday in November brought covid symptoms resulting in a positive test and which saw the return of the stomach pains. Weight loss continued. Phoned GP who said, stomach ulcer returned due to covid. Back on the same meds

Christmas came along and mum said about weight loss and suggested go to doctors and demand blood tests. At the same time I had started stealing my partners water in the night due to thirst.

bloods done New Year’s Eve. Same GP called following Friday and said your diabetic, how does that feel?

confused was my response and I was called into the surgery to discuss. Told they believe it to be MODY or type 2 but sent me up the hospital the next day due to Hba1c of 103. That explains the stomach pains, thirst and weight loss then.

junior doc told me he believed type 2 but wanted the senior consultant to check. That senior took one look at me in a packed hospital corridor and went to skinny, type 1. I was a bit offended by the judgement not knowing much about diabetes but in hindsight, he wasn’t wrong!

to be sure, antibodies sent with c-peptide

c-peptide first with a low normal range return of 444. Antibodies followed with znt8 identified in the 200 range. Type 1 confirmed

Currently honeymooning whilst still producing some insulin and waiting for pancreas to give up. Ranges not yet into double figures so on lantus of 8 units. Was 10 but sent me below 3.9 during night. Although I’m still getting that on 8 but nothing 3 jelly babies don’t resolve.

It has taken me a few weeks to consume my diagnosis but I think I am getting there. I knew very little about diabetes beforehand but now am aware of the fantastic creation in the 1920’s that kept millions alive to this day.

furthermore, I acknowledge that if this diagnosis is tough for me now, it seemed a **** sure lot harder for those previous due to the advancement of new technology in recent years.

with that in mind I have a Dexcom whilst waiting for a libre through the NHS. If only that was as quick as the consultants corridor skinny remark, although at least he got it right =D

I know from reading this forum how much of a challenge this will get once my cells are all gone. However, we only get one life so let’s give it a good go. My god I will miss the 6-8 pints on a football away day though :(

I have googled the hell out of the word cure as I’m sure a lot do at first diagnosis. So let me join the club and say, I think one may be 5 years away......

Anyway, thanks for reading and look forward to using the forum in the years to come

Welcome to the forums.

From the sound of it, you are learning to get by quite nicely so well done on that front.

You will find many T1's are quite pessimistic about a 'cure' as the scientific community has been telling people that the cure is 10 years away for over 40 years already. But with advances in bio-engineering and immunotherapy, maybe it will happen. Who knows?

Welcome to the forums.

From the sound of it, you are learning to get by quite nicely so well done on that front.

You will find many T1's are quite pessimistic about a 'cure' as the scientific community has been telling people that the cure is 10 years away for over 40 years already. But with advances in bio-engineering and immunotherapy, maybe it will happen. Who knows?

Thank you. Trying to gain as much knowledge as possible to help me along the way.

Yes I have noticed that throughout the forums. Ironically I have just been screened for a immunotherapy clinical trial but am awaiting my blood results to see if I have a gene known as HLA-DS4 to be eligible to take part.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, it’s such a shock and a lot to learn about isn’t it. Im one year in now and still learning (and still googling ‘cure for T1 diabetes’!)
This forum is great and very friendly, I don’t know about you but I knew nobody with diabetes before my diagnosis and it definitely helps not to feel alone. I found getting help from a dietician helped so much in the early days, and having a Libre to work out how I reacted to food. Are you getting plenty of support from your diabetes team?

Reactions: Marie4james
Hi, it’s such a shock and a lot to learn about isn’t it. Im one year in now and still learning (and still googling ‘cure for T1 diabetes’!)
This forum is great and very friendly, I don’t know about you but I knew nobody with diabetes before my diagnosis and it definitely helps not to feel alone. I found getting help from a dietician helped so much in the early days, and having a Libre to work out how I reacted to food. Are you getting plenty of support from your diabetes team?

Hey!

I can safely say me and my family have no close friends or family with any form of diabetes so we are all pretty clueless!

I don’t feel a great level of support from the team at my local hospital in all honesty. I think COVID may have an influence on that at the moment. My GP’s diabetic nurse only works Wednesdays and has a long waiting list. So keen to get on a DAFNE course in the future but not sure whether to do online or hold out until COVID is over.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I can safely say me and my family have no close friends or family with any form of diabetes so we are all pretty clueless!

I don’t feel a great level of support from the team at my local hospital in all honesty. I think COVID may have an influence on that at the moment. My GP’s diabetic nurse only works Wednesdays and has a long waiting list. So keen to get on a DAFNE course in the future but not sure whether to do online or hold out until COVID is over.

Ah, yes - I think Covid really didn’t help with access to support. I was diagnosed just beforehand so was in and out seeing my diabetes nurse a couple of times a week and then suddenly nothing, I had to phone and leave a (garbled panicky) message asking about blood sugar levels and then someone would phone me back.
If you can I would ask for a dietician with the NHS, they seem to be so much more knowledgable about bolus/food than the nurses. Also, ‘Think like a Pancreas’ is a great book and has a very handy section on injecting for food with a little table explaining when to bolus for different types of carbs when your blood sugar is in range/too high/low

Ah, yes - I think Covid really didn’t help with access to support. I was diagnosed just beforehand so was in and out seeing my diabetes nurse a couple of times a week and then suddenly nothing, I had to phone and leave a (garbled panicky) message asking about blood sugar levels and then someone would phone me back.
If you can I would ask for a dietician with the NHS, they seem to be so much more knowledgable about bolus/food than the nurses. Also, ‘Think like a Pancreas’ is a great book and has a very handy section on injecting for food with a little table explaining when to bolus for different types of carbs when your blood sugar is in range/too high/low

Thanks for the heads up. I must admit each NHS staff member seems to give slightly different advice about food so think a dietician is the way forward.

The best advice I have received so far was the head nurse on the trial screening I attended. She was type 1 as well so always helps speaking to someone in your shoes as they say.

Already purchased think like a pancreas but yet to get a chance to start it! I have heard great things so good to hear I picked up the right book =D

Reactions: JMoli and Jollymon