New Type 1 Confused

Tinx

Hi, I am a newly diagnosed Type 1, I am taking 160mg of Gliclazide twice a day. Bs started at 23.5 and fluctuates severely. I really am sticking to the diet but no change seems to be no consistancy. has anyone experienced the same at all ? thanks...confused.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tinx
Its very unusual for a type I to be only treated with tablets instead of going straight to insulin injections. Why did your doctor decide you're type I - what tests did they do? Or did you mean to say you're a type 2? How recently were you diagnosed?
Sue

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tinx,

Sue is quite right, either you are type 2 or you have been prescribed the wrong medication!
One thing is for certain and that is your blood sugars seem very high.
You said you were sticking to the diet, but can you tell us what that diet is?

All the best,

fergus

Asya

Hello ,

My doughter 11 years old just have diabetes type 1 22 august. She use Novarapid 3 times a day and glargine 9pm 7 units.
Her blood glucose level allways low and she has hypos 3 times.We`ll see diabetes doctor end of this month.
I use cloves seed and oregano between meals.And I`m doing reflexsolgy with black cumin oil before bedtime.
Just 3 weeks ago diabetes nurse change insuline dozage (1unit less novarapid 3times one)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 637528.ece
Please read this news it`s looks help for diabetes.Anyone try stem cell treatments.my email is [email protected]
Best regards
Dilan Mum Asya

Tinx

Hi Guys, I have only just been diagnosed, so I expect the insulin to follow this week. As for the diet it seems that anything that is brown is the choice which is not great ! I have the recipe books and all that stuff but I have been told to avoid all fat content over 4g which seems impossible !

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tinx,

Has your doctor confirmed your diagnosis? I would be astonished if you were type 1, given that you were prescribed Gliclazide and no insulin yet. You should make sure your diagnosis is correct.
It sounds as if you are being pushed towards a low fat, starchy carbohydrate diet too.
This is a huge mistake and will in all probability make your condition worse, not better.
Please look at the success stories thread to see how many of us have discovered this the hard way.

All the best and kep us posted,

fergus

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tinx said:
Hi Guys, I have only just been diagnosed, so I expect the insulin to follow this week.

Tinx
With a diagnosis of type I, insulin normally follows the same day! (That is not just what a group of nerds on the internet recommend; it is medical fact.) Suggest you contact your doctor asap with regard to either (if type I) getting insulin NOW, or (if type 2) increasing your medication or decreasing your carbohydrate.

Or maybe you have misunderstood about types? A type 2 who injects insulin is still a type 2.
You do not "become type I" if you need insulin to control your type 2.

Even if you are type 2, your Gliclazide seems insufficient to control your blood sugar with the amount of carbohydrate you are eating. Although a rapid drop in blood sugar is to be avoided, the aim of taking Gliclazide is to control your blood sugar (which should eventually come down to the 4 - 7 range). It will not help if at the same time you increase your carbohydrate intake.

Meanwhile if your sugar goes higher and you feel sleepy, with abdominal pains, short of breath or generally very unwell - don't just go to bed, go to A&E and tell them your diagnosis.

Sue

Tinx

Hi Guys, I have just had Metmorfin added to the list of pills, I asked the Doctor about why I am not on insulin and he said that I sjould be n it but the hospital and dragging it out just in case I am type 2 on the of chance !!! crazy really.