New Type 1 Diagnosis - Honeymooning Heavily

t1d08

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with type 1 at the start of the July and have since been slowly reducing my insulin down and down and down…

After my first couple of hypos last week I am now not taking any novarapid with meals and only 2 units of Levemir when I wake up and 2 when I go to bed. So a total of 4 units each day. My levels are pretty stable at the moment (between 4-8) and I exercise regularly. I do notice spikes depending on what I eat.

My queries are related to this honeymoon phase…

At the moment I am eating pretty much whatever I feel like, excluding really high sugar items like sweets, coke etc. Does anyone know if what I eat will affect how long this honeymoon phase will last…? Should I be watching the amount of carbs I eat, or just making the most of eating whatever I like without thinking about it while my pancreas can still kick out a good amount of insulin?

I also exercise regularly and I have read somewhere that frequent exercise can prolong the honeymoon period. Has anyone had experience of this or know if it’s true?

Hope you can help and I look forward to “meeting” some of you!

I am not sure how long it lasts but from what I read it varies for me it lasted for a number of years. I was diagnosed when I was 14 and up until I was 19 thankfully my diabetes ac1 results were always good (5-7) I ate whatever I liked without it having a huge impact on my BG. My doctors said it could be that I had an extended honeymoon phase.

It was only after this time that I realized how much hard work it takes to actually manage diabetes.