New type 1......down :-(

KirstenMiller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on here for a couple of weeks and now finally decided to introduce myself :-/.
Mid November I went to the Dr with a persistent cough. Dr asked numerous questions, Are you drinking more ? Are you going to the loo more ? Have you lost weight ? Yes yes and yes, put thirst down to cough, loo down to thirst and lost 3st but I've been dieting since May ! So they test my bg....29 ! Ended up been rushed to hospital and admitted for 4 days. The hospital confirmed that I have Type 1 Insulin Dependant Diabetes :-( Shock does not cover it :-(. Fast forward to now, hypo every other day, insulin dose been changed numerous times and now advised not to drive by diabetic team until DVLA confirm that I'm not safe to drive :-(. So now I can't get to work, I'm skint and depression is starting to rear its head again (previous depression). Don't know if this sounds like a lot but let me add.....My 12 year old daughter has cystic fibrosis and cystic fibrosis related diabetes. I have a hugely under active thyroid (275mg per day) partially deaf ( wear hearing aids) and now back on anti-depressants.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you're having such a tough time, I can't offer any advise to you, as I'm a type 2, but I can say that the people here are great, and will offer you all the advise and support that they can from their own experiance. With the depression, if you feel it's advancing, go and talk to your HCP, they'll be able to help whether with medication, therapy or just putting you in touch with others in a similar situation locally so you've got someone to talk to.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the Diabetes Forum.
Sorry to read of you various medical problems. Going on insulin as a 'New' Type 1 diabetic may take a short time to stabilise, with what you inject, balanced with what you eat so as to keep your B/G within a safe range, preventing Hypo's and Hyper's.
One you get control establish for your B/G levels and the medical people are satisfied that you can maintain them safely, you can the reapply to hav e your driving licence re-established. Do however notify your insurance company as many will revoke your insurance should you fail to let them know of any changes to your medical condition now that you are Type 1.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, it must be very difficult for you. When you are first put onto insulin in hospital based on other posters it can be a bit hit and miss as they have a fairly rigid approach sometimes which can result in hypos. The better news is that now you are home and managing yourself in conjunction with the diabetic nurse at the surgery you should be able to balance yourself more easily. Are you carb-counting yet or taking a fixed rapid insulin with meals? From what you say it sounds like the DVLA have revoked your licence due to the hypos in hospital; very annoying. Everyone taking insulin has to go onto a 3-year licence. If your licence hasn't been revoked then you will need to fill in a form to get the 3-year licence but unfortunately you have to state whether you have had any hypos (more than 2?). I suspect you have already started the process but discuss with the diabetic nurse if you haven't. Let us know if we can help with any specific questions and good luck with getting the licence back.

KirstenMiller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys :).
Not carb counting yet just fixed doses. I've already sent the forms to DVLA and the diabetic nurse has advised me to stop driving now so I've done that.
Just a bit fed up particularly as no work means no money :-(.
I know health is important, but I'm used to taking care of my daughter and not myself :-/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks guys :).
Not carb counting yet just fixed doses. I've already sent the forms to DVLA and the diabetic nurse has advised me to stop driving now so I've done that.
Just a bit fed up particularly as no work means no money :-(.
I know health is important, but I'm used to taking care of my daughter and not myself :-/

Rightly so your fed-up Kirsten :(

It is early days yet and I remember all too well the difficulty of getting the insulin doses correct so that I wasn't going hypo everyday. Try and keep a detailed diary of your bg readings, insulin doses and activity levels and present this to your DSN, if she fails to give appropriate advice then you should ask that you be seen by a diabetes consultant in the hospital clinic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your DN needs to start you on carb counting soon assuming you are having both daily insulin and mealtime rapid (called Basal/Bolus regime). This will make it easier to select the meal you want and avoid hypos; do discuss this with her if she hasn't already discussed it. You must look after yourself first otherwise you can't look after your daughter. Take care.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirsten!

Can your doctor sign you off sick? Then maybe you'll be entitled to sick pay from work or maybe can claim benefits to keep you going. Perhaps if you speak to to the CAB they'll be able to advise you. You really do sound like you need a break to get the diabetes and depression under control.

It is hard at first, but you'll soon learn how much insulin you need and you'll adapt. It's early days yet, so go easy on yourself.

Take care

Smidge

KirstenMiller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in touch with my diabetes nurse every week. I give her my bg readings, what I've eaten and any relevant activity. I have novo rapid with meals and lantus at night.
I did casually mention to my local gp last week about work etc but he made nothing of it. Think I may have to try CAB soon though :-/
Ergh, I know it's all a learning curve but I have had enough already and I'm only 2 months in !

northernlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear your having a bad time of it, I am newly diagnosed and was in a state of shock like you, I am a single mum with a 2yr old to look after and it is a huge worry. I have had 2 hypos and it was scary, they lowered my Levemir and told me to lessen my rapid. I am currently now just adjusting to see what my body needs, if anything I am under estimating at the moment ( I was on mark5 novorapid) but now 3 with a meal seems to be keeping me in the right levels. I have mark10 of levemir at night.

Anyway, Ive found its good to talk :) take care xx

Reactions: 2 people

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirsten,

Sorry to hear about the rough time you've been having. It's good that you've decided to post on here. We all have something in common and it helps. I was diagnosed late last year too in a very similar way. I can only second what others have said on here about carb counting. It'll make your life so much easier. I read about it within 48 hours of being diagnosed but my clinic weren't holding a class until this month so I found an online course instead. You can do the whole course in a few hours. Try it, it's very easy and well explained and it'll totally change your worries of hypos and associated DVLA complications. http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/listing.asp?M=Main

Good luck
Steve