New Type 1 here

PacoB

Hey folks,

My name is Paul, I'm 34 and was diagnosed type 1 on "Friday the 13th" November 2009.

Was overwhelming at first but am now controlling things fine with set doses at the mo!
(Novorapid 3 times a day and Lantus at night).

I've got a small query though....my last blood sugar reading (before lunch) was 3.4 but I didn't feel any different at all. My friend says that he can can feel hypo at 4.5. Just a bit worried that I didn't feel any different.

Anyway, thought I'd finally get round round to introducing myself after getting plenty of advice from this forum....it ROCKS!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

The 3.4 reading before lunch is a little on the low side, you may not of felt any different, but you are in hypo territory. What you should have done is eat some fast acting glucose and put off lunch for 30 mins or so.

I am surprised you didn't feel any syptoms of going low, especially as you were only diagnosed in November, it may be worth having a word with your diabetes nurse should this happen again.

Nigel

PacoB

Will do Nigel,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think to take a few glucose tabs, just had my lunch (at 1330) instead.

Checked 15 mins later and was at 6.1, then checked again 5 minutes ago and am at 6.4.

Thanks again!

Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No problem Paul.............glad you are sorted!

Nigel

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya paul and a warm welcome to the forum,
have a good look around and ask as many questions as u want :D