New type 2 and a bit confused

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
I have been looking at my carb intake over the last week and the daily totals have been...179, 171, 95, 191, 163, 184, 189, 190

For the medium carb aproach which I currently take these are classic daily numbers and I could have pulled them from my own food diary :D

I aim for a weekly average of less than 150g carb per day but this can fluctuate by up to 50g either side on different days.

suzie_girl

You sound like you're doing great Seamatt, well done. I've been diagnosed about a year now and so I'm still learning too, but I definately find exercise a big help. My sugar drops off rapidly after and I need to have a meal then or I will run the risk of a liver dump (like the higher sugar when you wake up). I find it can go as low as 4 so an hour of exercise a day plus avoiding simple carbs and keeping other carbs low means I keep a pretty 'normal' diet. Other then that I avoid high gi.For example most days I have berries and yogart for breakfast but the morning I do my hour of body pump after it I can have a bacon and sausage butty rarrrrr! Exercise is for winners :)

The comments about blood sugar are super helpful, I feel a bit fed up if I get above 7. But I think they say damage starts to occur above 8 so that's the main thing I figure to never ever be above it. I've only been twice, and once was from not eating for too long, duh! So hence my comment watch out after exercise you don't go too low and get some protein :) But you might find testing around your exercise interesting too. At first kept running out of energy in body pump and pouring with sweat, because my sugar had gone too low. It took me ages to work out the right food around it!

Keep up the great work! You seem like you're asking all the right questions :)

seamatt

Just a quick update as I had the results from my first HBA1C yesterday. It was 38 (5.6) and my cholesterol was down from 5 to 3.1.

Thanks for everybody's advice as it's really helped me. Now to keep it up for the next one :)