new type one, what can i drink??

bretty

new to type one , was looking for some help on what i can drink,(non alcholic drinks) getting bored of water now. also where can i get diabetic chocolate from . thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bretty,

The choice is yours, tea, coffee and any sugar-free drinks, if you are unsure check the product label for carbs.

Nigel

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Brettty
welcome to the forum and the world of type-1..
You need to look at the carbohydrate content of drinks and any foods you eat as you probably have been told by your doc. I never knew what a carbohydrate was until I was diagnosed 21 years ago.
There's diet or low sugar altenatives of most soft drinks, and supermarkets have their own "diet" brands of these.
As for diabetic chocs or other diabetic products, aside from jam 20 years ago, the only useful one I've found is chocolate. But beware of the calories and best to have just as a treat. Boots do quite a lot of diabetic sweets and choclates-bars and boxes, as do Thorntons. I recently discovered Sainsburys "No Added Sugar Milk Chocolate", they also do a dark/plain variety and it's cheaper than other brands at just over a quid for a 100g bar.
I used to swear by sugary chocolate for hypos, but due to the calorific and fat content, generally not a good idea on a regular basis; I put on weight as a result. :(
A good alternative to drinking water or diet drinks is a small amount of pure fruit juice; orange, pineapple, etc mixed with plenty of fizzy/carbonated water-it's really refreshing and contains no artificial sweeteners or additives.
Hope that helps.
Jus :D

bretty

thank you very much for your help, all advice is greatfull as i was only diagnosed last week and my sugar levels are still in their twentys,

i have change my diet completly but still struggling to get my levels down.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
bretty said:
thank you very much for your help, all advice is greatfull as i was only diagnosed last week and my sugar levels are still in their twentys,

i have change my diet completly but still struggling to get my levels down.

Hi Bretty. :)

So that we can help you please tell us what is your food plan and what are you eating :?:

badmedisin

I'd avoid diabetic chocolate, it's got absolutely no advantages over proper chocolate, it's expensive and it's pants! It's fine to have proper chocolate as an occasional treat, just make sure you have enough insulin to cover the carbohydrate in it.

Chocolate isn't recommended as a hypo treatment, it has a surprisingly low GI because of the fat, so it doesn't work fast enough. I find that if I use a slower hypo treatment I end up having a panic and eating everything within staggering range! Then obviously I get a really high sugar later. Best thing is 100ml of lucozade or one of those tiny cans of pop (5 for £1 in asda, bargain) followed by 10-20g slower acting carbs like crackers, biscuits or a good excuse to eat a packet of crisps.

Just don't do what my nan did- tried to use tinned pineapple as a hypo treatment. Fine if someone's there to open the tin, but a can opener is hard to operate if you're arthritic and hypo!
Good luck getting your levels down :)

bretty

hi thanks for the reply,

i have been eating scrabled egg in pitter bread for break fast with a banana, fresh fish boiled potatoes with peas for dinner and a banana for dessert and the odd packet of crisps for a snack.
also been eating

* rice
* chicken
*ham
* tuna
and drinking
* water
* milk

are these foods and drinks ok??

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Bretty,
Re-your food list;
Rice is quite high in carbs as is milk. You need to look at the packs for the carbohydrate content per serving and adjust portions to the amount of rapid-acting you're injecting. Chicken, ham and tuna are not carbohydrates, and will not have much effect on BG. What vegetables are you eating?
Diabetes UK used to have a fabulous publication called "countdown" which listed the carb content of most foods, including fast-food takeaways. Might be worth giving them a ring to check if something similar is available. You need a good reference guide to get u on ur way, and you'll soon feel more confident about food choices. Trust me, it won't always feel like such a struggle, you'll soon get used to what suits you and your insulin regime.
best of luck
Jus

bretty

ooops i have been drinking lots of milk because the docs/nurses said it was ok, im realy strunggling with this and find it hard, i no in the long run it will be ok, the only veg i eat is peas, carrots an potatoes.

victry77

I have milk for a mid-morning snack because I use the 2xday mixed insulin, but that really is the only time I personally would have milk, to essentially avoid a hypo.

I'd keep an eye on those banannas, too, because they can shoot you up pretty high. And perhaps watch your portion sizes, as well. For example, I have no probs with 6 small new boiled potaotoes and 5 small roast potatoes, so I stick to that portion size. I remember when I first got out of the hospital and was filling half my plate with carbs (as recommended by the hospital's dietician) hence flippin' loads of spuds and not really getting why my BG's would sky rocket afterwards. It got a lot better when I started controlling my portion sizes. I very rarely experience sigificant spikes in my BG's.

As Janabelle said, it won't always feel like such a struggle. You'll get use to what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck :)

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
Hi again Bretty,
If that's what you're doc/nurse advised, I'd take anything they say re-diet with a pinch of salt- althought they'd probably suggest sugar :lol:
Seriously though, I've even had some daft dietetry advice from a dietition at my diabetes clinic. You need to become the expert in your condition, as you are the one in charge of your care day to day. A lot of GPs run diabetes clinics, but very rarely do they have an indepth knowledge of it, especially type-1.
Keep a check on the carbohydrate of any food you eat, you might find this useful http://www.feelingok.co.uk/carbcounter.asp There are other similar web-sites, this might not be the best one.
Regular excercise and activity is important in maintaining good BG levels. I walked a lot today, had a lowish-carb lunch and had no short-acting insulin all day, kept my levels below 8 and even had a 3.8 after 15 minutes on the treadmill. It really can make a difference, but make sure your BG is below 12 before indulging in vigorous excercise.
Have you managed to reduce your BG levels from the ones you mentioned earlier?
Jus
PS- just found this useful piece of kit, might be of interest to you http://www.thorpe-products.com/products.html x

josie38

Hi bretty

As you are newly diagnosed you will find that you will get lots of advice about food chucked at you.
The dieticians tell you one thing and then someone will say something else. The best thing you can do is try different foods and see if they affect your blood sugars. Use the dieticians advice as a guideline and try things out and remember to control your portion sizes. If you try something new take a blood sugar reading about 30 mins after, if it is too hi save it as a treat. I like to drink a glass of milk as well and it doesn't send my sugar levels up.

Everyone is different. You will find that you can eat things and it won't affect you whilst another diabetic could eat the same things and have hi blood sugars. Trust your own judgement and eventually you will know what you can and can't eat. Also ask your dsn if they refer you for a DAFNE course which will teach you about foods and portion sizes.

Very Best of Luck to you xxx