new way to store ripe avocado

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thats interesting I just took 2 avocados out of the fridge where they have been for the past 10 days after ripening. They were mostly ok, a couple of brown patches which I cut out, and now have a large bowl of 400g of fresh guacamole to dip my bacon in tonight.

Reactions: Chook and Snapsy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
thats interesting I just took 2 avocados out of the fridge where they have been for the past 10 days after ripening. They were mostly ok, a couple of brown patches which I cut out, and now have a large bowl of 400g of fresh guacamole to dip my bacon in tonight.
Excellent.

It did say sticking chopped onion on top saves guacamole too! Not sure I'd trust that and I would still try to make it air tight.

Not sure there would b any left but might have saved some to test.

Would t it be great it that worked?? Some days I eat more than one so would hav some left over.

Off to get more avo AND onion. I hope it works!!!

Let me know how it works with your BEND diet!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the link, @Kristin251; that onion is something I shall certainly try. Up to now I have used the oxidation as an excuse to simply finish a whole avo each day, ( and why not, I say!) but sometimes, if there is any left over, I stick it in the fridge, and scrape the brown bits off next time. Hope it works :)

Reactions: LucySW and Snapsy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the link, @Kristin251; that onion is something I shall certainly try. Up to now I have used the oxidation as an excuse to simply finish a whole avo each day, ( and why not, I say!) but sometimes, if there is any left over, I stick it in the fridge, and scrape the brown bits off next time. Hope it works :)
I'm trying it right now but like you there's never any left unless I feel the ne d to pop open a second one.

If you do stick it in the fridge press it firmly down on a plate or glass storage container so it's air tight. It helps but still sometimes have to scrape a little.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Snapsy and Salvia
D

Deleted member 308541

We never get leftover Avo', to many eagle hawks in our kitchen.
LBjz5xY.jpg

Reactions: LucySW

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm trying it right now but like you there's never any left unless I feel the ne d to pop open a second one.
That sounds more like it! Phew! Until I read this I was going to post - with incredulity - you store them?!
;)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha. Hubby only eats half. HE stores them and it was just some useful ( hopefully ) knowledge for those that don't eat a whole one. Eventually, they will. Haha. Or they can help with the world wide shortage and just stop eating them!!!

The only time I store any is if I have to pick around a not so good one and it leaves me with less than a whole. Frustrating as I love to pop a new one open in the morning. And sometimes they're a hair too small.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I eat the whole avocado so I wouldn't store an opened one. I'm a bit dubious about storing a cut avocado with an onion. I think the onion smell and taste would transfer to the avocado.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Don't think the onion smell would do much for the fridge either.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, because the article says that, strangely, the onion smell doesn't transfer to the avocado, one can only try it and see. Also, as it's supposed to be stored in an air-tight container, so the smell shouldn't permeate into the fridge - at least, it doesn't in my fridge when I've stored onion in the past. Luckily (??) the need to store doesn't happen very often. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried it...wasn't impressed. I'll continue with the old way if ever there's any left. Much safer to just eat the whole thing!

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the feedback Kristin, maybe I won't bother trying after all. I'm like you, there's rarely any left at the end of the day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the feedback Kristin, maybe I won't bother trying after all. I'm like you, there's rarely any left at the end of the day.
I was a bit disappointed actually. It could have been worse but it could have been better. I generally just use precut waxed paper and seal the air out that way.

I wish there was an easier way to take care of these green goddesses. Oh wait, there is!! Eat it all!!!

D

Deleted member 308541

Don't think the onion smell would do much for the fridge either.
We keep leftover sliced up onion in a sealed container in the fridge, as are whole onions (skin on) in the crisper at the bottom. No onion smell like that.

Reactions: Salvia

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I put leftover onion (peeled) in water in a sealed container. Stops it drying out.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I put leftover onion (peeled) in water in a sealed container. Stops it drying out.
I do that with radishes but it takes the flavor out. They don't look appetizing when they're dry. That nice sharpness is gone. I just put my onion in a baggie.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent.

It did say sticking chopped onion on top saves guacamole too! Not sure I'd trust that and I would still try to make it air tight.

Not sure there would b any left but might have saved some to test.

Would t it be great it that worked?? Some days I eat more than one so would hav some left over.

Off to get more avo AND onion. I hope it works!!!

Let me know how it works with your BEND diet!
It was really nice.. made another batch yesterday and ate all that too (500g between 2 of us)... we never have left over guacamole....!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It was really nice.. made another batch yesterday and ate all that too (500g between 2 of us)... we never have left over guacamole....!
HA! That would be a sin!!! No avocado should go wasted. Especially during a world wide shortage!!!