New wristband for the blind

NaziaB

Hi guys, Nazia here!

I was just wondering, how do blind people check their glucose levels. According to research, there are talking glucose meters so does that mean the whole pricking the finger with a needle process is the same for blind people as well? Do they do this themselves? Does someone do it for them? How is independence achieved when you are blind and diabetic?

In terms of my wristband (see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/naziab.392919/), how can it make a diabetic person's life easier? The only thing I can think of is the "talkback" feature.

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rosiegough_

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad struggles- everyone seems to think something that talks resolves everything for a blind person - not so - dad needs 3 hands he says also getting the strip into the machine and seeing the drop of blood is a nightmare.

At the moment because of other factors with dad's health he has the district nurses going in twice a day to test him before he injects - not ideal but the best on offer

NaziaB

My dad struggles- everyone seems to think something that talks resolves everything for a blind person - not so - dad needs 3 hands he says also getting the strip into the machine and seeing the drop of blood is a nightmare.

At the moment because of other factors with dad's health he has the district nurses going in twice a day to test him before he injects - not ideal but the best on offer

Exactly! I can understand the nightmare with getting the strip into the machine and actually seeing the blood. Do you think there would be a way of making his life simpler somehow?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi guys, Nazia here!

I was just wondering, how do blind people check their glucose levels. According to research, there are talking glucose meters so does that mean the whole pricking the finger with a needle process is the same for blind people as well? Do they do this themselves? Does someone do it for them? How is independence achieved when you are blind and diabetic?

In terms of my wristband (see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/naziab.392919/), how can it make a diabetic person's life easier?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

http://diabetestimes.co.uk/talking-...e-with-diabetes-monitor-blood-glucose-levels/

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/vod/vodsum0424.htm

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dad has this meter or very similar- but it's not seeing the numbers that are the problem it's the procedure of getting the strip the right end round then finding the slot then seeing the drop of blood then lining it up with the tiny bit on the strip. The only thing he can do without problem is read the numbers with his magnifying glass - a talking meter is just not enough. I can understand why he gave up on testing bless him

Reactions: NaziaB
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dad has this meter or very similar- but it's not seeing the numbers that are the problem it's the procedure of getting the strip the right end round then finding the slot then seeing the drop of blood then lining it up with the tiny bit on the strip. The only thing he can do without problem is read the numbers with his magnifying glass - a talking meter is just not enough. I can understand why he gave up on testing bless him

Surely with a talking meter for people who are blind or partially sighted it should have means of making sure the strip was put in the right way, no wonder your dad gave it up. Maybe someone will come up with an idea to overcome this ? @NaziaB

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
What else would a blind diabetic

From a wristband? I could be wrong but anything like a wristband or bracelet is only any good to somebody responding to the wearer who might not be able to communicate what's up. The wearer is well aware of what information goes onto the wristband or bracelet.

So perhaps the answer to the question is nothing apart from the fact that the person has another problem apart from diabetes. Apologies if that sounds negative and I appreciate the enthusiasm to produce something that's good and useful and I could so easily be wrong, but these items are to help people who are attending to the wearer. They could also be a fashion accessory but maybe that detracts from their purpose.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Understood :) Wasn't sure how else to put it...

Blind or visually impaired could be used. I knew of someone, non diabetic and touch/feel was always important. This is a watch that you could study.

Feel the Time

The design of the ‘Feel the Time’ watch is so brilliantly simple, it’s amazing that it’s not already commercially available. The minimalist black face features two separate discs, each with one tiny nub – one that signifies the hour, and one for the minute. A break in the outer circle at the 12 o’clock mark acts as a guide to get an accurate reading.

Are you enjoying your ongoing 'tasks' regarding useful support and help for people with diabetes/diabetic's.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I understand, your wrist band is already going to be quite expensive. Adding further features such as a talk back to aid blind people will increase the cost. Have you thought about that?

NaziaB

Blind or visually impaired could be used. I knew of someone, non diabetic and touch/feel was always important. This is a watch that you could study.

Feel the Time

The design of the ‘Feel the Time’ watch is so brilliantly simple, it’s amazing that it’s not already commercially available. The minimalist black face features two separate discs, each with one tiny nub – one that signifies the hour, and one for the minute. A break in the outer circle at the 12 o’clock mark acts as a guide to get an accurate reading.

Are you enjoying your ongoing 'tasks' regarding useful support and help for people with diabetes/diabetic's.

The more the better lol. Thanks a lot for this! :)