Newbie - be gentle with me

cuddles1960

First of all just want to say hello.

I am 47 (well for another few hours) and for the last couple of months i have noticed that i am drinking rather more than i normally do, feel constantly tired and keep getting thrush type infections in the creases at the top of my legs and under my boobs (sorry if tmi). I had similar symptoms about 6 months ago and was tested for diabetes but the tests came back as 'clear'. The reason that is in inverted commas was that i was only just in the clear, if that makes sense.

For the last couple of weeks the thirst and tiredness seem to have escalated eve more and even hubby has commented on how much i am drinking (should add that its water i am drinking).

I am overweight, don't smoke and only have at most 1 bottle of wine a week, and thats not every week.

This is obviously causing me and hubby some concern and will be booking in to see our practice nurse next week to see what she feels we need to do next.

Anyway really just wanted to say hello and get some feedback if that is possible.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome ,oh and happy birthday too :D
you need to get tested for diabetes,lloyds chemist do it free and also like u say see your practice nurse,
try not to worry as if u do have diabetes this forum is great ,ive learnt so much from here,
let us know how u get on :)

lionrampant

Indeed, although I have heard of those conditions causing diabetes-like symptoms. So if it comes back negative, I think a trip to the doc may be in order!

donnamum

Hope you visit the quacks soon and get the all clear. If you are diagnosed diabetic this is a very suportive group. They have been a great help to me and my family.

If you are unfortuate enough to have to visit us again. I hope you find it as much use as me.

Happy Birthday.

P.S. Have an extra large piece of cake with cream and chocolate sauce.....just incase.

Only joking

cuddles1960

Many thanks for the very warm welcome. I have got an appointment booked for next Thursday. I know it seems a long way off but our usual practice nurse is on leave and i'd rather deal with someone i know, if you can understand that.

I will keep a note of my drinking/weeing/tiredness and other issues between now and then and hopefully might start to spot a pattern emerging.

Thanks again for the support and welcome.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi cuddles,

Those are some classic symptoms, as I'm sure you know. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you on Thursday though. Keep us posted and we'll be there for you if you need us.

All the best,

fergus

cuddles1960

Thanks for the support everyone. Well went to see the practice nurse and she agrees that i need to be re-tested and i now have to go back on tuesday for a fasting blood test. She has arranged for me to have the first appointment of the day as if i don't eat breakfast i always end up with a migraine. She checked back through my records and apparently last time they tested i was on the high side of normal (if anything about my life is normal) and as i am getting the constant thirst, tiredness and thrush infections its ringing alarm bells.

If this lot of tests come back as normal i will make an appointment with one of the GP's to see what else could be the problem!! Oh well just got to wait till tuesday now.

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
I had several "Fasting Blood Tests" and each time I was told "all is OK". I was then hospitalised with Pericarditis (an infection of the outer layer of the heart). This condition can trigger diabetes (I don't know why), so my blood glucose (sugar) was regularly tested. This showed that my blood glucose was too high and I then had a "Glucose Tolerance Test" which proved conclusively that I am diabetic. That test involves first having your blood sugar tested (usually as a hospital out-patient); then a measured amount of glucose drink is swallowed. You then sit and relax (not do any exercise) for a set period of time (90 minutes in my case). At the end of the test a blood glucose measurement is again taken; the result should be no more than 10mmols (in my case it was about 20mmols, as far as I remember). This end level accurately determines diabetes.

When I returned to my GP he then admitted that my "Fasting Blood Tests" had all been "borderline high"! :x If there is any indication that your "Fasting Blood Tests" are borderline or similar, I suggest you ask for a "GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST". That should be quite conclusive. Presumably Glucose Tolerance Testing is not done in the first instance, due to cost? :roll:

cuddles1960 said:
Thanks for the support everyone. Well went to see the practice nurse and she agrees that i need to be re-tested and i now have to go back on tuesday for a fasting blood test. She has arranged for me to have the first appointment of the day as if i don't eat breakfast i always end up with a migraine. She checked back through my records and apparently last time they tested i was on the high side of normal (if anything about my life is normal) and as i am getting the constant thirst, tiredness and thrush infections its ringing alarm bells.

If this lot of tests come back as normal i will make an appointment with one of the GP's to see what else could be the problem!! Oh well just got to wait till tuesday now.

cuddles1960

Thanks for your response. I must admit i am a bit worried about what to do next if the test does come back as normal. I don't feel ill but at the same time i definitely am not my usual self. :? I don't have a great deal of faith in my doctors, although they ae good basic doctors i often feel that they brush off my concerns about issues without really listening. For instance, i have a bunion which causes me some severe pain at times. My GP's only comment was 'it's not big enough to operate on yet'. I also have a frozen shoulder which limits how much i can lift and carry and again his only response was to give me some painkillers for which he has now issued 4 repeats without asking to see me again. He never, ever takes into account that i am my husbands carer and need to be able to look after him as well as myself.

Hubby did say that if this lot of bloods are normal he will definitely back me up with the doctors about the change in my health and the impact it is having on our lives.